COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

LA county is already very close to heard immunity. you also aren't factoring in the kids who already have had covid which you can add to the natural immunity.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yet we still allow kids to do many things that put them at risk at a far higher rate than dropping a mask mandate.

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Are you asking where I stand when it comes to the flu? Well, when there is a flu outbreak, and I know about it... I don't send my kid to the flu outbreak. You mean... like that? Are you asking about that? Because, I'd have to ask you... did you send your kids to a flu outbreak? Like, when you knew there was a flu outbreak?

The immune system is built from generations of human evolution. I know you think you are very powerful, but you actually aren't, when it comes to your internal biology. You can't really [uck fay] your immune system up, no matter how hard you try, short of some pharmacological means. And a lot of whisky.

4. fl0at_

And you are still adding cases. Tell me when you think there will be no cases?

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

so we have to get zero cases before heard immunity is declared? we may never have zero cases ever.

6. fl0at_

We don't mandate that they do it. We allow it. That's the difference.

We're mandating this risk.

7. fl0at_

Herd immunity is that a virus, or other pathogen, causes an infection that then doesn't go anywhere else.

So no, you don't need zero cases. But you do need zero movement. While cases are still high, we aren't at herd immunity.

But, let me ask it a different way: when do you think we'll hit herd immunity in LA county?

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

no is mandating children leave their house and put them at risk for coronavirus

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

A month?

10. fl0at_

How will they not? They're going to do school remotely, when their parents have to be back in the office? Or are offices just going to choose to allow parents with kids to remain at home?

What plan is in place that says children won't be put at risk?

11. fl0at_

So in a month, you believe, COVID will be over, due to herd immunity, in LA county, and no kid, from 5/19/2021 forward will die of it?

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i think most offices will allow people to stay home with their kids if there’s a legit issue since only 1/4 workers are actually at work currently . And again we are seeing it here already that for some reason poor people are keeping their kids home at a far higher rate than rich people so obviously people are letting them do it

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Absolutely

14. fl0at_

No, it isn't obvious that people are letting them do it. It might just be that they pretty much have to. You're making vast amounts of assumptions that goes against normal business practices. I very well can be wrong here, but I believe that businesses will make an attempt at a return to normal, with people in office, very soon, and very quickly. And the biggest driving force to that is going to be schools. And it's going to be after this summer. And it's going to be with 6-8months remaining until kids can get vaccinated.

15. fl0at_

Welp, that'll be easy enough to measure.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I think it’s changed things forever and remote working will be acceptable in most non retail jobs. The stat I saw recently that only 1/4 offices are currently open. That’s a very low number

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

We are at 458 cases daily on the 7 day average already which is a crazy low number for 10 mil people and it’s still dropping. 50 percent of the population has gotten at least one dose and 25 percent have had Covid and most think that number is low. With the vaccine now opening up to everyone we will be there soon.

18. fl0at_

And none of that points to zero cases. Just low numbers. The problem with low, non zero numbers, is that, time is very very long, and low, non zero numbers eventually hit 1. It's just basic math. You will be wrong. And I believe it is foolish to think otherwise.

We can still hit one, even with a vaccine. But at least we will have waited until there is a vaccine.

19. fl0at_

This will also be easy to measure. It won't take much, either. A single piece in the WSJ that suggests people are less productive at home, and folks will be back in the offices on Monday.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i already said it ain’t going to zero probably forever. But if la county is under say 200 cases a day that’s heard immunity in my book