Track and Field

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Unimane, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm excited to see how he does. He definitely doesn't fit the traditional mold of a 100m dash sprinter, and I'm sure he hasn't spent anywhere near as much time on the technical aspects as a lot of these guys. But it should still be fun to see how he does.

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I will be interested. But, he hasn't run track since high school and this is a different world. His 4.33 40 doesn't suggest to me he'll make the cut. He's no Willie Gault.

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Tell you what, I dont know what is normally good for middle schools, but our 4 x 100 ran a 45.2, and kid we know well ran a 52.7 400. Both new school records.

4. Unimane

A 52 second 400 is very good for a middle school runner, as is a 45.2 4x1.

Indy likes this.
  5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I have a feeling a couple of these kids will be running at bigtime colleges if they stay healthy and choose to. There was nobody coming close to them in relays at the finals at Ravenwood last week. If measured in horses, it woulda been 20-30 horses between them and 2nd place, even in the 4 x 100

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Based on the way he's built, I can't help but think he's better suited for the 100m/200m than the 40.

7. Unimane

He'd probably be more adept at the 200, but he's carrying a lot of weight for a sprinter and I can't imagine he's had a lot of block work over the years to really get an explosive start (UT's own Christian Coleman is the best I've seen at this). He's really fast, just not world class, probably. I would guess his time will be in the 10.4-10.5 range.

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

10.5 would be really slow.

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

It’s almost funny how different he looks from the rest of them.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

10.36 is impressive. His start looked fine, but the weight was just a bit much down the stretch. If he trained for this stuff the way the other guys do, there’s no question in my mind he’d be competitive, at least at this level.

11. Unimane

I was about right, but not a bad showing for him. He could probably get to a 10.1-10.2 range if he did it full time, which is very good though not quite where he would need to be in order to make the Olympics and a good living on the sport. He's doing the right sport now, for sure.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Idk. If he quit football and trained for the 100m as his full time job, dropping weight and what not, who knows. If he had always focused on it rather than football, I think the raw talent is there for better than the 10.1-10.2 you’re suggesting.

I think there are definitely a few NFL players who could challenge at the Olympics, were they to have focused on doing that, rather than football. That Ross dude that got drafted in the first round a few years back is probably one, and Tyreek Hill is likely another, though I think I read somewhere that he was better at the 200m.

13. Unimane

I don't think Metcalf's body type is going to allow him to go much faster than 10.2, maybe 10.1, even if he slims down. Getting below 10 flat is a huge step and he'd have to push 9.9, at least, to make the US team. There are 8 Americans who have run under 10 flat this year and that doesn't include Christian Coleman, the best of the lot, who is out because of being out of pocket too many times. Doesn't include Noah Lyles, either, who is most likely the 200m gold medalist favorite in Tokyo and might run the 100m, too. Only Hill is a guy whom I might see getting to this level and he was really good in college, but not on that upper, upper tier ever.

The problem they would all face coming from football is this is the most depth I've ever seen in American sprinting (The distance runners, beyond the 800m run, are dipping in quality, though, a big disappointment to me.). They could all run exceptionally well and still only make the top 20 of American sprinters. It's a tough gig now.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  14. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Isn’t auto qualifier for US Men 100m 10.05, non-wind aided?

Lyles has run a NWA sub-9.9 3 times with a PR of 9.86. Not too shabby for a guy who has the fastest 200m since Bolt's 2012 19.32 (Yohan Blake got second in that race with a 19.44, lol. 2nd fastest time in the past decade and 7th fastest all-time, and he got second in the race.)

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  15. Unimane

I think that's the time, yes.

Lyles is amazing. He might be the best sprinter of this age of great American sprinters. It might be Coleman, were he not such a [dadgum] idiot.

16. Unimane

US Olympic Trials underway tonight in Eugene. High expectations for this group of athletes in a number of areas, perhaps the best sprinting crew in a long damn time among the men. But, there's lots and lots of names to look forward to running this week and in Tokyo.

17. Unimane

Ryan Crouser starts off the trials by breaking the shot put world record of Randy Barnes, set in 1990, one of the longer lasting records out there. I'm happy about this as Barnes was busted later for roiding and his WR was suspect. There are a few of those out there, some which I don't know if they'll ever be broken, mostly from the communist women's sports era of state sponsored drug programs, like the women's 400 and 800. Honestly, FloJo's record is bunk, too, and not just for her supposed drug use. The wind gauge was busted for her 10.49 and was not a legal time, but they still kept it.

18. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I like he knew it was WR as soon as he let it go.

19. Unimane

Justin Gatlin running a 9.93 at age 39 is beyond physics, it would seem.

lylsmorr likes this.
  20. Unimane

I was hoping to see Harrison Williams of Memphis make it to Tokyo in the decathlon. He was the most dominant athlete I've ever seen at the state championships since I've been going. He finished in a gut wrenching fourth to some dude who had the meet of his life and was pulling unreal performances, like throwing 30 feet further than his previous attempts in the javelin. It was ridiculous and sucked for Williams, who had been ranked top 5 in the world this year.

Otherwise, our sprints look fantastic, even if Noah Lyles was surprisingly slow in the 100m. Sha'Carri Richardson is going to ruffle some feather in the women's 100, but she also might set a world record, too (The real one of 10.61 by FloJo, not her bogus 10.49). The team looks loaded and we still have to wait a week for the biggest showdown in the women's 400m hurdles between Dalilah Muhammad and Sydney McGlaughlin. I think the kid gets her this year.