South Carolina

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tar Volon, Nov 13, 2022.

1. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Georgia looks like a new dynasty. But we’ve had two years of reasons to be excited about Heupel. And if I’m not sure he’s going to overtake Georgia, one lousy game sure isn’t cause to expect him to crash and burn. I wouldn’t put money on winning a natty while he’s here, but he’ll have us in a 12-team playoff conversation more often than not IMO.

CitrusCo.Vol and tvolsfan like this.
  2. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I do not think that I have seen a worse defensive performance at at any level. Unable to stop a shitty one dimensional offense. 9 [uck fay]ing TDs

tvolsfan likes this.
  3. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

Did it happen on the practice field? I’ve seen some people suggest it happened in the locker room. I can understand a fight on the practice field where things can get heated but cooler heads should prevail in the locker room

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Hooker called him out on not going to class, making a lot of trips to Memphis hanging with some shady people and that he needed to get his life in order after Banks fired shots at Hooker.

Banks didn’t like getting called out on it in the locker room after taking a shot on Hookers deals.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Well, if true, time for banks to he shown the door. He's had more than his fair share of chances, in and off the field.

tvolsfan and Memtownvol like this.
  6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I’m not sure what you saw last night that made you think USCjr’s offense was one dimensional. Give the other team some credit. They played really well and called a very balanced offensive game.

7. Equine Ducklings

Equine Ducklings New Member

I guess this is an issue of cognitive dissonance: I want attention from others, but intellectually I recognize attention seeking as abhorrent. I therefore have this routine where I seek attention but immediately feel ashamed for having done so. I then try to go out “honorably” by demanding to be executed. You guys tried a different tack by doing everything possible short of banning me and I must say it’s been effective.

In a predictably petty effort to take some control back I’ll say that this is my last post. I’m Jerry Smith except no Beth would ever give me the time of day.

What a shame we didn’t achieve our destiny this season. Farewell

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Will be very curious to see what USCjr does against Clempson next week. An 8-4 finish with 2 top 10 wins in the final two weeks of the season probably cements them as at least a little better than mediocre.

9. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

3-1 passing to running (453 passing, 153 running). Because their running back was out because of an injury their rushing was done by their TE or their Receiver in a telegraphed wildcat formation.

How could we be expected to stop them from scoring 9 touchdowns with that Offensive prowess?

I saw a shitty Defense; PERIOD!

Tar Volon likes this.
  10. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Clempson will boat race them.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Agreed. But context. What was Tennessee's defensive strength? The run. How did we blow out LSU? Stuffed the run, the QB was afraid to pass. The run was what we could stop. Let's say a team runs it 40% of the time. We were highly effective on 40 % of their snaps. So what happens when a team just can't/doesn't run? Well, now we are not effective on defense... ever.

Yes, it shouldn't be this way, but it was. It always was. That defensive back field was pretty bad all season, and ran into a former Heisman hopeful who suddenly wasn't afraid to sling it. Go back and look at how many times DB's just left guys. Or had hands on balls but failed to change the trajectory.

Now, go back and look at how USC was playing our offense. They were on receivers hip to hip (or worse) all the time and were batting down balls at the line.

Don't really go back and look, I think you can see what I mean. My point is that there were seeds of this all season and it was just a matter of time. Alabama on a neutral site or in Tuscaloosa would have smoked us. Good QB's would have little resistance against us.

Memtownvol and Tar Volon like this.
  12. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Their run game was absolutely zero threat until they had already scored three touchdowns and we started dropping more. They were getting stuffed on first down and then throwing for 15 yards on 2nd or 3rd and 11 every damn time.

IP likes this.
  13. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

3rd down and 5 yards to go. Our DB lines up 7 yards off of the line of scrimmage. Upon the snap of the ball he turns and runs back 5 yards. Then runs up and makes the tackle after a 7 yard gain.

Is that what they are coached to do?

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

The answers may disturb us.

Memtownvol and utvol0427 like this.
  15. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

At least we aren’t Kentucky haha

Memtownvol likes this.
  16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

They had a number of big runs that were absolute daggers. The 14 yard run immediately after we gave up the pass play on that 3rd and 6 everyone is losing their minds over was one of them.

The balance I’m speaking of is the way in which they kept our defense off balance. They knew we wouldn’t blitz early, so they didn’t keep extra guys in to block. We got no pressure, and after torching us twice, they knew we’d start blitzing. They started leaving more guys in to protect, stymieing our blitz and leaving our DB’s in the exact same position they were in when we weren’t blitzing. Sprinkle in some help from the refs, and we didn’t find our footing defensively until their was already 35 points on the board for them.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I said in the chat at the time, it looked like we were playing to prevent the TD. We were down 11, so a field goal wouldn’t hurt us. It looked like we were playing to keep everything in front of us and hope to hold them to 3 as the field shortened.

I don’t hate it as a strategy, but the 14 yard run we gave up the next play basically killed it. Which, again, goes back to what I said about their balance.

18. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

I thought teams stopped running the wildcat because it was so damn easy to stop.

19. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

@CardinalVol Alright sir, how do the Vols rank in your weekly rankings?

20. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Their QB was dropping dimes and their receivers were catching everything. Part of that was never making Rattler uncomfortable.