South Carolina

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tar Volon, Nov 13, 2022.

1. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Throwing against air didn't hurt either

sbradle4 likes this.
  2. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

3. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

Rumor - banks walked on the power T in locker room. Didnt do push-ups for doing so. Hooker confronted him, and it got physical.

4. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Wonder if there's been some finger pointing at the defense. Hooker's body language on sideline seemed off. Hyatt was off, don't if that was playing at home or something else. Feels like some changes need to happen defensive side. Defensive recruiting has been a bit lagging as well.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Buddy of mine said he heard some of the defensive players were pissed about Banks being left home, which affected their play.

He didn’t say they actively tried to lose, but it seemed like that was the insinuation.

I think the defense just sucks in general.

6. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I'm very very down today which is a key indicator that I care way too much about this stuff.

7. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I’m going full conspiracy theory on this game. The defense was tired of the offense getting all of the attention all season, it reached a boiling point in practice this week, and Saturday night was a “let’s see you win without us” game by the defense.

8. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

I hope you don't actually believe that because it may be the dumbest take on the game I've seen.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

My take is that clearly the team, and defense in particular, was distracted and not dialed in.

And that defense just has little room for error.

warhammer and tvolsfan like this.
  10. peelwonder

peelwonder Member

Defense finally cost us and Banks coaching hasn't helped. Gotta recruit the heck out of that side of the ball and hit the portal.

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

My commentary - banks should be kicked off the team and sent back to Memphis.

[uck fay] him.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Can we start noting whether we are referring to DC Banks or player/potential Judas Banks?

InVolNerable and VOLinDAWGland like this.
  13. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I definitely 100% believe it, which is why I said I was going full conspiracy theory instead of presenting it like a valid opinion.

InVolNerable and Indy like this.
  14. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Unpopular opinion, but this team (top to bottom) clearly didn’t have the mental makeup to handle the pressure of a playoff stretch run or a playoff appearance. Nor did it ever have the defense to survive in the Final Four.

I would much rather have made the playoff than not, but I think Ohio State or Georgia would have rolled us once we got there.

And that’s not a dig. Our overall talent level was never playoff worthy, and our defense is statistically worse than any other national championship team. We were lightning in a bottle, defying the odds all year long.

Assuming we beat Vandy, 2022 was a big step forward for the program’s return to national relevance.

But the return to legitimate championship contender is rarely an overnight development. This season had some Disney magic about it that had us believing it might just be our destiny…but it’s gonna take more time, and more talent. Hopefully we can get there.

tvolsfan, VOLinDAWGland, IP and 2 others like this.
  15. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Offense played well enough to win though. Defense just made themselves look bad.

VolDad and utvol0427 like this.
  16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I do hope Heupel looks at the defensive product in this game, and considers what it would have stopped or how he would attack it... and take whatever steps necessary to make it have some chance of stopping anything. In the passing game, it was air.

Memtownvol and Tar Volon like this.
  17. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Yeah, we’ve clearly been spoiled by this offense if we call 38 points and 500 yards a bad day. The previous coach couldn’t do that against the likes of Charlotte, Georgia State, and UTEP.

Memtownvol, Tar Volon and NorrisAlan like this.
  18. VOLinDAWGland

Ummm, the offense has been winning without the defense all season.

Memtownvol likes this.
  19. VOLinDAWGland

We've faced a hot QB (or our defense allowed them to look hot) 3 times this year and barely survived 2 of them. The last one was too much and they changed what was on film and we couldn't adjust or just win more one on ones at the LOS. Oh and [uck fay] those refs, that was some horseshit calls. PI on the TE for simply running straight down the field catching a DB out of position.

20. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

None of those QBs were hot until we took the field across from them.

InVolNerable likes this.