South Carolina

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tar Volon, Nov 13, 2022.

1. peelwonder

peelwonder Member

On the plus side both hopefully are gone at the end of the year(one prematurely of course).

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Still gotta hit the throws. There’s a lot of film out there of those same guys missing open receivers.

Memtownvol likes this.
  3. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

And Butch couldn't get half of that against UMass

4. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Thinking more on it, this reminds me a lot of the 2005-06 basketball team. They didn’t really feel like they had the depth to hang with the big dogs, but they hung long enough that we all started believing they could. Until they couldn’t anymore. Doesn’t mean it isn’t the start of something big, but the flaws that they’ve managed to overcome for the last two months just caught up in a big way.

InVolNerable and VOLinDAWGland like this.
  5. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

My point

JT5 likes this.
  6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

One other take, we got that shithead Beamer locked into that job now.

OneForVol and VOLinDAWGland like this.
  7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I get what you are saying but that is just below the standard of the SEC. It is not an acceptable strategy. I can live with giving up yards, boom and bust, etc. I can't live with "hope he misses the throw" down after down. I'd rather blitz six and man up than drop the dbs back 12 yards on third and 6. Not like we didn't give up big plays anyway.

InVolNerable likes this.
  8. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

2013 in reverse, although Rattler’s “wow, he has arrived [but in hindsight maybe he actually didn’t]” moment was somewhat more emphatic than Marquez North’s.

9. NorrisAlan

With our offense, you blitz and play man up tight. Give up a big play? OK, but you get the ball right back. It is the methodical long drives that result in TDs that are death to our offense.

Get stops or turnovers or give up a score, but do it quick. Don't give up 8 minute drives without ever really threatening to stop them.

10. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

And it probably keeps Satterfield around for another year as OC. He was done. Gone. And now what do you do with the guy? That’s probably the most prolific offensive outburst in program history. You gonna run him after that?

This was an anomaly, and it probably bought them another season of the same disappointing offense that drove them crazy for 2 straight seasons. High price to pay for a win over UT.

VOLinDAWGland likes this.
  11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't give a shit about any of that, I'm more concerned with our anomaly and how we prevent it from occurring ever again

12. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Im not sure it was an anomaly for us. We need to hit the portal badly, and Banks almost certainly isn’t the solution at DC.

VOLinDAWGland and IP like this.
  13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

If we lose that game 42-38, I probably just kick some stuff go on with life by now. I can't get over "how" we lost, from a team that just had to win out to make the playoff. I just can't shake it.

Memtownvol, A-Smith, gcbvol and 4 others like this.
  14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm not proposing anything about strategy.

Just stating that hitting open receivers isn't guaranteed, even when the defense sucks. Anthony Richardson and Spencer Rattler have missed open receivers PLENTY this season. Rattler didn't miss many on Saturday, and on the ones he did, the refs typically bailed him out.

VOLinDAWGland likes this.
  15. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Doesn't make sense. Almost have to try to perform that badly (or not try at all).

16. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

we were literally conceding 3rd and longs. Floating deep into zone, well beyond the 1st down marker, and letting dudes make uncontested catches in front of us. Down 3 scores. Like it was the goddam game plan. Maddening.

InVolNerable, Tar Volon and gcbvol like this.
  17. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

If you didn’t know any better, you would have thought we were up 20.

gcbvol likes this.
  18. NorrisAlan

Maybe Banks misread the Scoreboard?

19. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

As good an explanation as any.

20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Mark Richt style head scratcher.

NorrisAlan likes this.