Willie Martinez

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Nov 19, 2022.

1. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

All the player development seems to on the offense and perhaps dline.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I felt like I was flying high after the KY game. We held them to 200 yards total offense and six points. 8-0. Top of the world.

The last three games seems like someone is actively trying to sabotage the season on defense. Last night was brutal and I have never seen anything like it. The [Weiner Sucker]s looked like 1984 Miami Dolphins out there. This supplants the 1986 Memphis St game as the worst game in UT history (well, my living memory, I cannot attest to pre 1982). And it isn't even a contest. I felt *betrayed* last night by this team, as irrational and illogical as it sounds. How could they do this? I just don't get it.

And I never will.

EDIT: 1996 memphis game, not 1986.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2022
    InVolNerable likes this.
  3. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Last night did seem intentional. Not saying it was, but I struggle to explain it. We all understand talent and coaching have been issues on that side all year, but this was a whole different level of bad. Bizarre.

4. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Perhaps there's a locker room issue bigger than we know and Banks/Hooker rumors are just a piece of that.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

There's also a reason Mark Richt fired Willie Martinez

TangoUniform, InVolNerable and zehr27 like this.
  6. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Fire whoever you want. After that game, all’s fair.

But it’s not getting better until the jimmies and joes get better

7. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

That's where the best coaches on staff are.

justingroves likes this.
  8. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

We were ranked #1 in the country this season

reverendgeneral likes this.
  9. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

1985–1986 Miami (FL) (GA)
    1988 Bethune-Cookman (WR)
    1992–1993 Grand Valley State (DC/secondary)
    1994 Central Michigan (secondary)
    1995–1996 UCF (DC/secondary)
    1997 Eastern Michigan (secondary)
    1998–1999 Central Michigan (secondary)
    2000 Central Michigan (AHC/secondary)
    2001–2004 Georgia (secondary)
    2005–2009 Georgia (DC/secondary)
    2010–2011 Oklahoma (secondary)
    2012 Auburn (secondary)
    2013–2016 Tennessee (AHC/secondary)
    2017 Cincinnati (secondary)
    2018–2020 UCF (AHC/secondary)
    2021–present Tennessee (Cornerbacks)

that's the Martinez resume. Honestly, I don't recall hearing his name prior to his stint at UGA ... I recall never thinking much of him as a coach, and anybody who does a dumpster dive on the msg boards will know that there's never been a lot of love for him out there. I'd actually forgotten he was part of our staff until the UGA game this year....

Anyway, if I'm looking at the defensive ranking stats correctly...
    2001 UGA - 19th (lose music city bowl v BC) - finished #22 overall, 5-3 in conf. - Mark Richt
    2002 UGA - 4th (won sugar bowl over FSU) - finished #3 overall, 7-1 in conf. - Mark Richt
    2003 UGA - 5th (won capital one bowl over Purdue) - finished #7 overall, 6-2 in conf - Mark Richt
    2004 UGA - 9th (won outback bowl over Wisconsin) - finished #7 overall, 6-2 in conf - Mark Richt
    2005 UGA - 8th (lost sugar bowl v. WVa) - finished #10 overall, 6-2 in conf - Mark Richt
    2006 UGA - 21st (won chik-fil-a bowl v VT) - finished #23 overall, 4-4 in conf - Mark Richt
    2007 UGA - 18th (won sugar bowl v Hawaii) - finished #2 overall, 6-2 in conf - Mark Richt
    2008 UGA - 59th (won capital one bowl over MichSt) - finished #13 overall, 6-2 in conf - Mark Richt
    2009 UGA - 64th (won independence bowl over aTm) - finished #35 overall, 4-4 in conf - Mark Richt
    2010 OU - 33rd (won fiesta bowl over UConn) - finished #6 overall - Bob Stoops
    2011 OU - 31st (won insight bowl over Iowa) - finished #16 overall - Bob Stoops
    2012 AUB - 66th --- finished #101 overall - Gene Chizik
    2013 TENN - 81st --- finished #82 overall (2-6 in conf, 5-7 overall) - BitschJones
    2014 TENN - 36th (won insight bowl over Iowa) - finished #58 overall, 3-5 in conf, 7-6 overall - BitschJones
    2015 TENN - 17th (won outback bowl over NWestern) - finished #31 overall, 5-3 in conf, 9-4 overall - BitschJones
    2016 TENN - 70th (won music city bowl over Nebraska) - finished #27 overall, 4-4 in conf, 9-4 overall - BitschJones
    2017 CINCY - 94th ---- finished #98 overall - Luke Fickell
    2018 UCF - 36th (lost fiesta bowl v LSU) - finished #11 overall - Josh Heupel
    2019 UCF - 42nd (won some weedwacker bowl vs. Marshall) - finished #24 overall - Josh Heupel
    2020 UCF - 92nd (lost boca raton bowl vs. BYU) - finished #45 overall - Josh Heupel
    2021 to present TENN.

... and now we know (maybe some of y'all already did) how/why Martinez got here --- followed Heupel from UCF.

10. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

It certainly wasn’t because of our secondary. An offense that can 50 burger Nick Saban can atone for a hell of a lot of deficiencies.

11. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

Not having great players makes having good on field coaches all that much more important…I would argue.

12. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

If we’re going to take defense seriously we can’t employ dudes like Willie Martinez.

13. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

True.

With Willie, I keep going back to two guys that played under him here that were dreadful but ended up making money in the pros. Justin Coleman and Emmanuel Moseley. Can anyone explain how they could be so bad while here yet stay in the NFL for several years?!?

Memtownvol likes this.
  14. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

We aren’t coached or schemed well. I cannot get over the field end zone shot of our defense down 2 scores on 3rd downs. One play it’s the softest you can play. The next we are leaving injured backups on an island and the next another illtime zone blitz resulting in an easy pass to the sticks by our DE in coverage. They play with zero instinct.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  15. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

There's also a reason why once Vegas got more information as the season went along that we were one of only 3 teams with negative odds to make the playoffs; even at #5 in CFP poll.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

We were -22.5 yesterday lol

17. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

Now we got Tim Banks wife posting on VN. Good stuff.

18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Oh lordy, I hope it is a spoof account. That is bad news if it is true.

19. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

When the family defense comes out that's usually the beginning of the end.

VOLinDAWGland and NorrisAlan like this.
  20. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Link? I want to see it, but I don't want to have to sift through all the trash to find it.