Random college football thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by zero-sum, May 9, 2015.

1. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I look forward to that Supreme Court case if he gets his wish.

zehr27 likes this.
  3. IP

IP Super Moderator

9-0 with a broken folding chair

zehr27 likes this.
  4. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

He is providing all kinds of talking points for schools recruiting against them. Basically telling kids they don't deserve this much freedom to get paid.

justingroves and CardinalVol like this.
  5. IP

IP Super Moderator

They don't get to enfringe on a person's rights to their own name and likeness, it is very simple.

zehr27 likes this.
  6. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

Well at at the end of the day, for the schools outbidding these yankee dorks, it just means more.

zehr27 likes this.
  7. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

warhammer likes this.
  9. CardinalVol

Let's check in with how the NCAA fared in their latest installment of "don't pay the players" -

(Spoiler - not good)

IP likes this.
  10. IP

IP Super Moderator

It sincerely may be the least legally controversial matter in the history of the country.

InVolNerable likes this.
  11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And the more they fight it, the worse it gets for the NCAA. They don't know when to just stop digging. Their time is over, good riddance and I want to be the first to piss on their grave.

12. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

A good time to remember this passage from one of Spencer Hall's best pieces ever:

Pay them. Pay them what you owe them. Pay them because the worst American tradition is taking things that aren't yours and calling it destiny or virtue or principle. Pay them because there is no nobility in keeping someone a dollar poorer than they have to be in exchange for honest work. Pay them because any system that deliberately makes people poorer is one of designed cruelty, even at this relatively small scale. Pay them their [dadgum] money.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  13. IP

IP Super Moderator

The Florida rep saying something today about keeping student athletes, student athletes really rubs me the wrong way. No one is concerned with keeping students, students given the debt crisis and near necessity for students to also work.

14. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Someone enlighten me as to why this would be the case assuming the NCAA would lose. It seems to me that student athletes being declared employees would open Pandora's box for at least some of this stuff.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Going to need a bit more context

16. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Unless I misread, the article made it seem like that should the case be returned to the original judge and then the NCAA lose the case, the student athletes could be ruled as employees but not eligible for any of the quoted things before. I would think unionization at the least would be on the table. Some of the others maybe would not be a requirement, but I don't see how contracts would be off the table either.

For that matter if the NCAA had just allowed contracts years ago with some minimal pay, they would be in a better position today to maintain the level of authority they want.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't see how that is possible for them to be "not eligible" as a matter of blanket fact. If NCAA counsel said it, I don't believe it on its face and will need more.

warhammer likes this.
  18. CardinalVol

I think it has to do with the facts of this case itself and what they are arguing for.

Basically, think of this as step 1. And a quick glance says it has to do with NLRB rules.

warhammer likes this.
  19. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't mean this hyperbolicly: it sounds similar to the arguments against ending slavery. "Who will feed them? Where would they live?"

20. CardinalVol

Literally, basically from what I can tell is that they would not be covered to form a union yet. Because it didn't make sense to me either, but that's what a quick research of it did. I don't pretend to know ins and outs of labor laws.