Yet another mass shooting

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by NorrisAlan, Nov 8, 2018.

1. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

The message that people "deserve" to hear it is horseshit. If two or three of the hundreds of shootings that occur in this country could be avoided due to not being convinced that murdering someone would get their voice heard, that's unquestionably better than hearing unjustifiable reasons for entering a school and shooting random children.

InVolNerable likes this.
  2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

If I don't see it, I'm not going to complain. I'd just like to know if people were specifically targeted.

3. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Full access to the manifest and resulting conversations arising from it just isn't a bad thing imo. Who is to say publishing a manifesto detailing a premediated hate crime against a religious group won't help educate and deter future attacks against a religious group? The Nashville Christian community specifically wants more answers here. If they were truly targeted as a group, it is only right that they are allowed to know about it. Christians are the actual victims here. Not the trans community.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Don't you need to see what it says to determine if it was a "hate crime?" Cart and horse, and all.

5. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Exactly. We need to know for sure. Publish the manifesto.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well then you are all over the place. Because that wasn't what you said. You can adopt it, it sounds less pitchforky and agenda loaded than a few of your recent posts. I didn't know they did release manifestos right after a highly public mass murder. There is a middle ground of allowing the authorities to give a cliff's notes version to inform your concerns and then seal it for some months or a year (like they do when they survive to preserve an unbiased jury pool until trial). I think like card, I could guess what it says. But I don't think it reflects on anyone but the killer.

7. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I’d wager this is more personal than about targeting Christians, especially if the rumored second school I’ve been hearing is accurate. Regardless, my need to know her why is less important than lessening the motivation of someone to do this again.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

28 year old going back to their middle school where they experienced puberty as a person who was/became trans does seem personal. Most of Nashville is Christian, wouldn't need to go anywhere in particular to find a church if that was the chief motivation. Would go on Sunday too. Seems like some want a share of the spotlight though.

9. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Yep, and the second school she scoped out, if it’s the right one, is very trans friendly, but also possible a personal deal for her.

10. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Actually you are right. Technically me out right labeling it a "hate crime" is premature and clumsy. However let's be real here: shooting up a religious institution definitely reeks of a hate crime. Even though there will never be any official hate crime charges levied out given how the shooter is now dead.

Also not every hate crime requires a literal manifesto. There just happens to be one in this case apparently. And the public-specifically the Nashville Christian community-deserve/want to know if members of their own community were indeed targeted for their religious beliefs. Especially when you factor in everything we do know about the shooter so far. Not being allowed to know for sure if the manifesto contained messages about targeting Christians specifically seems like an unacceptable answer to the concerns of many within this state/city given the totality of the current social/political environment, national conversations, ect.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Also, they bought 7 weapons from 5 gun stores while being a medicated fruit loop and with their parents specifically concerned about weapons. We have mechanism to stop this kind of situation. It is VERY similar to the Colorado theater shooter.

InVolNerable likes this.
  12. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is worth a look and you will know for sure. I'm not certain on the timing and leave that to authorities and cooler heads. Probably will have a good sense sooner rather than later and all the details in the months ahead. Let's not make this person too special.

13. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

They? He. According to his online profiles.

14. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Will the release of the suicide writings of a clearly disturbed individual make society any less hateful toward the group in question?

Have the release of hateful writings of equally deranged mass killers made us, as a society, work toward a solution?

My perception is, probably not. We just keep kicking the can down the road.

Perhaps the "Shooter Drill" generation can come up with a solution when their fathers and grandfathers could not.

15. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I get it is a walk along a fine line for sure to not give this shooter the notoriety that may inspire either other copy cat killers or any type of revenge agaisnt other communities. However I think we have to trust the public at large to be able to properly process everything here despite the reality of bad actors with whatever agenda it may be existing in our society. Just one of those things you can't be hiding from the public.

16. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Their fathers, grandfathers, great-grandpas ect fought brutal wars all over the past century in a world full of powerful ass guns. Schools however were not shot up until Columbine. That one event changed everything. Unleashed a pandora's box. One individual hellbent on carrying evil, thus consequently having the power to "represent the soul" of an entire nation of 300+million citizens (or however these conversations are always framed by media/politicians) is a brutal paradox. In a country of 300+million, odds are someone is always going to be hitting the powerball on being as evil as it comes. I do wonder if how we frame the conversations of the actions of one individual to be representative of where the "soul" of American society at large is actually a fair, healthy and helpful way of perceiving all of this stuff for the 99.9999999999+% of us who aren't about mass murdering others.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
  17. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Seems like manefestos are normally posted to fb or something so it's not really an issue of "releasing" it. Personally I wish we never mention the shooters name in these situations and just removed their name from all of human history so they literally become a nobody. But seeing as we don't normally withhold these things, I don't see an issue of releasing it. Yeah the haters on the right will use whatever is in there to continue their transphobic paranoia, but they are gonna do that anyways. I mean, these people already pretend they're persecuted.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm going to just they/them it, it isn't clear to me what the pronoun situation was last they breathed and if they wanted me to care they shouldn't have murdered people in a school. I am happy to address people as they wish, this is personal to the individual that shot 9 year olds and school staff.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

I saw the name, not bothering to type it or remember it for the reason you describe.

20. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

It'll always be weird to me applying a pronoun with a plural meaning when referencing a singular individual. Just does not read/flow right. But whatever. Always has been my practice to call someone to their face/in written correspondence whatever they want to be referred as since this all started to become a mainstream thing in society a la 2015 or so.

It just has been weird seeing this one individual being described as a "her" these past 48 hours depending on what article you read. Seems like the whole pronoun thing is totally thrown out of the window whenever you decide to murder children. The lack of "another white male" shooting narrative within our media/political ecosystem is curiously noticeable this time for whatever reason, given many would agree that this person was indeed a mentally unhinged white male with a bunch of guns.