Elon Musk is in “Bonkersland”?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, May 25, 2018.

1. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

He is a guy that wants to look cool and win. Some journalist needs to say they will donate a million dollars to a charity of his choice (this is just a jumping off point) if he can provide the exact details of how he got all of his loans and paid them off. Just challenge him to something and I bet he either makes a mistake or has the goods.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

You think people 100k in loans thought they'd get paid 30k a year?

3. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I think it can happen. What happens is some people don't want to get jobs in college so they can focus on their college studies. When doing that they take out loans to help cover their living expenses along with school cost. If you go for 4 year for a job like say a social worker and pile on debt for living cost its hard to dig out of the hole. I don't think people with good guidance ever go to school thinking that they will go 100K in debt for a 30K a year job.

justingroves likes this.
  4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Ding ding ding

5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Most kids are 18 when they go to college and have no idea what they are going to do and may not know for years after school. They are just getting loans to help pay and worry about it later.

6. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

While I am not (obviously) a big fan of the military draft, I find myself, on reflection, thinking some sort of 2 year (?) public service activity for youth is not a bad thing (especially if they earn college tuition funds).

Going back to school on the GI Bill after a stint in the military helped me for sure.

zehr27 likes this.
  7. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Tucker Carlson’s new, independent show will be launching on Twitter. Probably will have a greater reach than ever. We live in a new, independent age within media. The demise of the Fox’s, CNN’s and MSNBC’s of the world is such an awesome thing. Imagine having to rely on cable news networks still for information?

Long form convos uninterrupted by commercial breaks every 5 min is such a superior way to consume information compared to the antiquated format of cable news

8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

9. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

Oops. Twitter broke during his push to promote Desantis on twitter spaces, lol.

10. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Who wants to willingly volunteer to be one of the first lab mice for this potential Netflix Black Mirror episode turned into reality? What a time to be alive in during this age of the human experience.

11. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

He must’ve written a bigger check.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think it is funny that some of the same people who said the COVID vaccines had microchips in them and were meant to control people are also super excited about neuralink. I can't think of a circumstance where I would be sufficiently confident to get something like that myself. Maybe if I learned more about it, but I don't know.

justingroves likes this.
  13. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

Absolutely not, never. I expect for my grandkids to be in awe of my childhood as it will probably seem like the 1850’s would have to me as a kid. But god help me if I have to tell them what it was like to just raw brain your whole life.

14. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Elon gonna flip a switch on them for April Fools' and send dogecoin to the moon

15. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

I would probably get something like that as I get older for health monitoring, but not one from Elon.

Things like that can and will end up saving millions of lives.

16. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

If I had a major neurological issue, I'd probably be all over it. As a normal person, I'll let other people beta test it for a few decades.

17. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

My non medical science-y self simply can't comprehend how you could theoretically implant some kind of chip in your brain and it actually work as intended to. Seems like a science fiction fantasy. Really hard to grasp how this is even possible for someone like me who isn't well versed in the science of neurology.

Also I'm sill not exactly sure I really like the idea of how we are heading further and further down the road of altering the entire human experience via interfacing our bodies with all this new technology that seemed impossible to even fathom a decade ago. Smartphones and tablets now are already serving as essentially an entire new organ that many humans now can't function without. Going even further down this path could be wonderful in theory, sure. I could also see it unfolding disastrously.

Last edited: May 29, 2023
  18. IP

IP Super Moderator

My fears are all because I can imagine it working, and what that could open one up to. I don't think human consciousness is as unique or complex as it appears to us right now, and I fear a person could be nudged on a fundamental level in ways like Phineas Gage or a lobotomy, or worse.

19. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Yea the entire idea is terrifying, awesome, worrying, and fascinating all at once. Who the hell knows what kind of Pandora’s box would/will be opened. I am self aware enough to realize that I can’t even really begin to fathom what all this will mean ultimately.

Like I am no doctor, but conceptually I can at least understand technology like a pace maker being installed in a human heart to make it function better. However inserting some kind of actual chip into a human brain as if our fleshy, organic brain is merely a computer having a flash drive uploaded to it truly boggles my mind. Perhaps it will all make more sense in the future, but as of today I can’t even begin to wrap my head around how this idea is even possible in theory, much less actual reality

20. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Maybe someone can answer this for me. The Elon Jet Tracker social accounts and it's various derivatives routinely post CO2 stats for flights. For example a recent one Elon took from China back to Texas says:
    How are CO2 emissions calculated? The weight of the CO2 exceeds the weight of the fuel. Is it factoring in the CO2 to extract, refine, and transmit the fuel? If so, I feel it is somewhat disingenuous as if the oil wasn't burned in Elon's jet it would have been used for something else. Feels like a more accurate report would be the emissions from simply burning the fuel. Otherwise it feels like a lot of double counting.