New NCAA Investigation…

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by JT5, Jan 30, 2024.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes, their continued application of "booster" status to people flies in the face of the SCOTUS ruling.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

utvol0427 likes this.
  4. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

The gist that I got from reading the suit is the NCAA is [uck fay]ed (from a legal perspective).

They (NCAA) probably could have avoided this confrontation had they met with Tennessee when requested in Dec. Had they actively engaged the member Schools in formulating NIL/Portal/LOI window guardrails that did not limit an athletes' rights to negotiate NIL rather go after what they viewed as an easy mark to flex would have been the wiser strategy.

The suit calls out recent FSU and UF issues with NCAA on this topic, which helps engage other member institutions.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Hard to believe how much things change.

Tar Volon likes this.
  6. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Maybe this was part of the NCAA's plan by targeting Tennessee. We'll go after them because we just punished them with no contest, and everyone knows they're cheaters. It wouldn't surprise me if they were whispering behind closed doors about the death penalty to make an example and get other schools in line. I'm not staying this is smart or logical, but those aren't words I'd associate with the NCAA.

From a bigger picture, the NCAA is made up of member institutions. It's long past time that everyone, members and the public, started viewing them as failing their members and student athletes almost completely with regard to the issue at hand. It's time for a complete reorganization of the body, or it's time for member schools who do not agree with the current implied direction (because there is little reliable direction at all) to take their business elsewhere.

Daddy Gee and IP like this.
  7. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

It will be interesting to see how ESPN and Media companies having TV contracts with NCAA report on this.

I guarantee the Legal teams are reviewing the Liability, Indemnification and other pertinent clauses.

8. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I don't know how many tv contracts they have of any significance outside of the basketball tournaments. There's baseball and I guess softball as well, but I don't think they're in the realm of the other two. There's also the lower division's football tourneys, but those aren't that big of a moneymaker either.

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Leadership matters.

10. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

11. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Wolken is predictably out there doing the NCAA's bidding getting clicks and interactions with Tennessee fans. I'd link, but I don't want to give him any freebies.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2024
  12. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Here is what I found.

https://businessofcollegesports.com/current-college-sports-television-contracts/

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

A-Smith and NorrisAlan like this.
  14. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Yeah, the NCAA only really factors in tournaments they administer, so the major cash cow football only nets them a small portion overall if anything. They make their money on the men's basketball tournament and a lesser extent on the women's tournament and other sports. Regardless, I don't foresee any network rushing to their defense all that much as a whole, but there will be some individual personalities that will spread out among the talking heads.

15. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Feels like the NCAA misconstrued our cooperation post-Pruitt as spinelessness.

They may have really thought UT would apologize, accept the blame, and beg for leniency on this one.

What a cataclysmic miscalculation.

MaconVol, tvolsfan, A-Smith and 6 others like this.
  16. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

17. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

It would probably be more funny/effective if the sentences were actually sentences.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It feels like Tennessee sat the NCAA up

SetVol13, warhammer and JT5 like this.
  20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

But...they are.