New NCAA Investigation…

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by JT5, Jan 30, 2024.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

At least I learned something in all of this.

SetVol13 and IP like this.
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Maybe just VA trying to get some anti-slavery cred. Probably because the many state schools here (VA Tech, VA, James Madison, Ole Dominion, etc) think this is bullshit. There is a thriving college athletics scene up here that doesn't have the big national audience but a lot of local NIL activity.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Maybe one or more of those schools is on the NCAAs list?

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I imagine any decent college football/basketball state is going to jump on board for this lawsuit.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Must be, given how the NCAA is enforcing things retroactively.

6. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I would assume Donde and the AG and Gov are all networking with other states, ironically recruiting them to join a lawsuit in response to recruiting violations.

justingroves and IP like this.
  7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I skimmed through the lawsuit, what I speculated earlier regarding antitrust is accurate. That's the beef.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I'm pretty sure I could make this argument in court and I'm far from a lawyer.

IP likes this.
  9. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think Spyre and Nico could sue on additional grounds, too.

warhammer likes this.
  11. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Eventually absolutely they can.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

The only reason this isn't laughably illegal is because it was allowed to go on so long. Telling a person what they can do with their own name and face? What?

justingroves likes this.
  13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

These are just my woefully uneducated thoughts. The NCAA's best and only play in a courtroom environment is to say that participation in the organization is voluntary and that accused parties could withdraw if they did not want to follow NCAA rules. Their organization holding a de facto monopoly on the gateway to commercial college athletics pretty much ruins the argument though.

IP likes this.
  14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

15. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

This. It’s a mess right now for sure and we’ve seen issues arise relating to NIL and more will come up. There is no perfect solution here. But all things being equal, what we have now is closer to being just than what we had before.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

17. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Is spyre saying they were repping Nico wherever he went, even though they are UTs collective? Or do they do this with other schools too?

18. NorrisAlan

Apparently Nico's deal never mentions UT anywhere in it. So legally UT is in the clear on this, I would think. This is between Nico and a private institution for employment, and the NCAA has no leg to stand on after their 9-0 drubbing by the SCOTUS.

19. NorrisAlan

And if the NCAA tries to be petty and just rules Nico ineligible until this is all resolved, if I am UT I say "Huh. Well, [uck fay] you" and play him anyway. Tell em to [uck fay] right off, see you in court.

utvol0427, warhammer and IP like this.
  20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes, that is what they are saying. Don't know if they do this with others.

By executing the contract in California, Nico could not be legally restricted anyway and this was deliberate. you'll see some get that detail wrong, but it exonerates Spyre and Nico from this being a conditional contract for recruitment to Tennessee. That Tennessee's NIL law doesn't speak to the issue is irrelevant because of the contract specifically being made in California under California law. And even then, there is nothing in Tennessee law or the contract that would make it binding to a specific school.

SetVol13, warhammer, gcbvol and 2 others like this.