New NCAA Investigation…

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by JT5, Jan 30, 2024.

1. peelwonder

peelwonder Member

NCAA is trying to act like it's 1992 instead of 2024. They need a workable solution, CBA is what comes to mind.

NorrisAlan and IP like this.
  2. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

There are still some SEC schools that are good with us burning so he is trying to look like he is doing something without going too far in our direction.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

They'll figure it out eventually that besides Vandy, they're all likely subject to the same claims from the NCAA we are. Just a matter of being looked at. So if they have any success, they're next.

Memtownvol likes this.
  4. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Not disagreeing here really. I have seen CBA tossed around like it's a magic pill, but there a few hurdles that need to be jumped. There is currently no C to be able to B and reach the A of yet. I think part of the problem here is the NCAA sees itself or want to cast itself in this role, and it just can't in any real world scenario. I think it's ultimately what we see, and the NCAA needs to find itself a role in the changing world or get left behind.

IP likes this.
  5. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Lordy that's not a good look for the 'AA.

TDVol1989, tvolsfan, Poppa T and 4 others like this.
  6. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Ouch. Your honor, I will be very brief. I quote
    ‘Right now, there are no rules for NIL’”-NCAA
    If there are no rules, how can they be broken.

7. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Activate the "He was being sarcastic" defense. The bells are tolling for the ncaa.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Basilio said that while last week he thought this was a nothing-burger, he is more concerned now because it is clear that the NCAA's desired outcome would be massive penalties and short of some sort of court action, they may be able to impose something like a post season ban for the coming year. My thought when hearing that was that would be the QUICKEST the NCAA has EVER issued a penalty from the time of beginning an inquiry and would reek of retribution.

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

[​IMG]

TDVol1989 and Poppa T like this.
  10. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

The stakes have always been high. I don't know what Basilio was smoking to come up with that notion so late in this game. They saw this as their best shot for sending a message to other schools because of probation and such recent infractions, their best shot for a slam dunk case. Every step that we take to fight this only increases their need to come down hard if they want to reassert their control. It was always high risk for us, but it's high risk for them as well. They're cornered and need a win right now if they want a return to their previous levels of control. I don't think a lot of fans completely comprehend this. If the case goes south, we're going to need another case and probably some outside help to come out of this unscathed.

TDVol1989 and VolDad like this.
  11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I as a UT fan am willing to risk this. And with the Alston case being decided 9-0 in the SCOTUS, I think the risk on UTs part is minimal. That said, if it all goes [breasts] up for UT, it was a battle we needed to fight.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Right, if the NCAA loses this first skirmish, the fight goes on but Tennessee's 2024 is likely unaffected. If Tennessee loses this first skirmish, our 2024 season may be destroyed even if we do ultimately win the war.

Tar Volon and warhammer like this.
  13. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Your last sentence is where I am. It needed to be done. I am OK with that, no matter the outcome and will keep my season tix, until I can't.

I've watched the NCAA behave like subjective [Richards] most of my adult life and my perception is they have not applied their "rules" fairly nor their "punishments" equitably.

Memtownvol likes this.
  14. Ssmiff

There are no rules and things are going to get more out of hand unless we retroactively punish UT, your honor.

15. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

The whole punishment on retroactive-thing is what really blows my mind and I find most egregious.

I just don't understand how you defend that. Or how any member-group would allow that.

Memtownvol likes this.
  16. Ssmiff

unless they are trying to say booster payment recruiting violations still apply and classifying Spyre as a booster, but I assume wording in the paperwork separates them legally.

17. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I keep coming back to the only defense the NCAA has is that it's a voluntary association, but that argument and a little logic practically holds your hand and walks you to over to the Sherman Act as they are the gateway to commercial college athletics.

18. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

It was my understanding (and will admit to not being diligently tracking things) that changing the "booster" to include "collectives" was one of the things they changed after the fact and are now applying retroactively.

19. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

It was my understanding that the members did not vote on any of the changes they made or retroactively are applying. It was the NCAA board (or whatever they are called) voted under some "emergency" loophole.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2024
  20. IP

IP Super Moderator

But also, they are just applying the "booster" label to NIL collectives, which effectively ignores what the ruling was in the first place that launched the NIL era. So... I do think they are deeply [uck fay]ed. But I could be wrong.

warhammer likes this.