Illegal Immigration

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Jul 12, 2013.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I think he had one punt. And he boomed it.

2. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

I always miss the fun stuff

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Let's suppose we enacted immediate deportation of all illegal immigrants, full removal.

How would we do it?

4. CardinalVol

Bounty hunters, IMO.

(kidding, mostly)

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

we couldn't. the key is to start putting people in jail for hiring illegals or at least fining the shit out of them. and certainly need to stop the practice in los angeles where the police can't even ask if you are illegal.

6. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I'm for this actually.

7. fl0at_

There is no quick solution. Because even if you got everyone out, you still have to keep them from coming back in. Things take time.

In the mean time, how is this bad? If they are here already, and drawing all the Federal dollars "everyone" believes they draw, anyway... all you've changed is the ability to, in some small way, identify more people than you ever had. And maybe that pushes them toward becoming legitimate citizens, and maybe it doesn't. And if it doesn't, who cares? Nothing has changed, and we've established a moral high ground. Which is what we do, quite often.

8. fl0at_

And how do we do the "key" action?

Some sort of... network? Or should we just make the Federal government bigger by hiring more and more Federal agents to do the ground work?

9. CardinalVol

I'm primarily just playing devil's advocate today.

Honestly, I agree there isn't a quick and easy fix. Wide-scale deportation isn't practical. Like I said earlier, at this point, step 1 should be focusing on closing the border and stemming the tide. Until we do that, nothing else really matters.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

How do we even do that, though? We've literally tried walls and drones and armed patrols and even randomly shooting them.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it's pretty hard to get on welfare or food stamps if you are a true illegal immigrant. that's why people come here to blop out kids to get on the dole since the kids are american citizens. so i absolutely do not believe they are already drawing all the benefits they could get.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

So one step would be to change what makes a new American citizenship. How do we do that? A major constitutional amendment, right?

13. fl0at_

I found a little tidbit, not sure if it helps, but apparently new legal immigrants are barred from using some government assistant programs for 5 years.

So, is it possible that a step to make them legal reduces the burden, for 5 years, in some way? Not sure. Beyond me, and my desire to dig. But if so, it has an interesting result, even if not intended.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

we already have databases in place for people to check whether a social security number is valid and can require valid forms of id. obviously we will have to hire more people to get it going. i'm going to guess that the second you actually start enforcing the laws that most people will come in line quickly.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yup

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i believe that is true, but 5 years isn't a long time.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

We know it would help, because it did for Canada and other countries with similar issues.

18. punkcat

punkcat Member

Not really that difficult. The President (at least one that had a pair) would make a blanket statement giving all illegals 30 days to finalize their affairs and return to their countries. Many would run for the border. The ones that don't will be picked up by local, state and federal law enforcement and deported. Go to any General Sessions or Traffic Courts and there are usually over 100 illegals there every week with no DL. May sound simple but I think it would work (I arrest many).

19. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Offer a program where illegals could volunteer to build/rebuild border infrastructure while their immigration processing is occurring.

20. fl0at_

I'm sure there are a lot of people you have arrested many times.

I'm not so sure a lot would just up and leave. It wouldn't speak well of this country if a difficult life here was worse than where they came from. Which is kind of the point, right?