Illegal Immigration

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Jul 12, 2013.

1. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

3. Tenacious D

I'm going to ask this question again:

What is so damned exceptionally special about the plight of Mexicans and Central Americans, than millions of others in similar - or much worse - situations, such as those in Kenya, Sudan, China, Bolivia, Ukraine, etc. etc. etc.?

They aren't any more deserving than those in other nations, but are only fortunate enough to have been born in a country / area that happens to border the U.S. Period.

And if we're going to accept the argument that they deserve something that others do not, based purely on the random outcome of where they were born, how then can we not also say that natural-born American citizens shouldn't enjoy the same?

I'm sorry that I'm not sorry for having the fantastic fortune of being born in America. I'm truly sorry that by blind-ass cosmic chance, others were not. But I was. And they weren't.

And if we're going to say that America is the beacon of freedom throughout the world, and acknowledge that we have been and must continue to be a nation who seeks to accept and welcome immigrants into this country - and each of those statements are unwaveringly true, IMO - then let's not only ensure that such is done, but is extended to the neediest, most desiring and deserving to all peoples of the world, with fairness and equity, and not just those who were lucky enough to have been born along an adjoining border.

It's maddening to me that we seem to see no issue in allowing the scofflaws of Mexico / Central America to illegally skip that fair and necessary process by which the rule of law demands, and which is required of anyone wishing to immigrate here.

Before you go to sleep tonight, say a prayer that I'm never elected President - because Executive Order 000000001 would be to claim eminent domain of several airlines, for the explicit purpose of deporting every illegal alien in this country, toot sweet.

I'm sorry that you're in school / hospitalized / been here for years, etc. - but is was your decision and actions that placed you in this predicament, which you knew was illegal, and despite a known and perfectly available process being available to you, but which you simply chose to ignore. So, now you're going back to where you should rightfully and legally be - and we will welcome your legal return, once legally achieved.

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Our immigration process is as dysfunctional as all of our other aspects of government. Meaning that its about as cumbersome and ineffective as could be ran.

I'd do the same thing if i were in their shoes. Either stay in a crime ridden area with no means of changing it, or illegally cross the boarder to give my family a chance at a better life.

5. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I care as much about the plight of these people as they care about the legal process to come here legally. Crossing the border in no way entitles them or their children to anything.

6. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Understood, but at what point do you start feeling as though this country, it's taxpayers, and government are entitled to provide and care for you?

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Basic infrastructure, legal system and national defense That's all that I feel that the federal government should over

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

You ARE a minimalist. Holy cow!

Tenny: I think your plan, however, of just confiscating jet planes and deporting them wholesale, while being correct by the law (other than the confiscating of private property), would be about as effective as taking a bucket and trying to empty a lake by throwing the water up on the shore. I would also say it would be prohibitively expensive.

The difference between the plight of the Mexicans and say, the Nigerians, is that they do border the USA, and because many can find a much better life here, will willfully break the immigration laws (which are there to hinder/control immigration) and come over the border anyway, on their own dime. We would have to pay to get Nigerians in the USA, en masse, because there is no easy way for the Nigerian locals to get here.

I don't have an answer. An open border would be a terrorists wet dream. A Great Wall of America is not possible. I have no ideas what to do, honestly.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'm sure if we built a wall tall enough and deep enough down and employed enough armed guards we could do just fine. of course it'd probably cost a trillion $. might be worth it anyway

10. OrangeEmpire

I'll take pre civil war fed gov't

You know, what should have happened in the first place. The fed gov't handing the power back like the founders intended.

11. OrangeEmpire

Think a digital wall and armed patrol would be cheaper?

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

cheaper yes. just as effective? i wouldn't think so.

13. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

*I meant from your illegal immigrant perspective...

14. OrangeEmpire

It could only work if there were a large number of rapid response teams.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

They should have every natural right as you and I enjoy. They shouldn't be allowed federal welfare, but if a state wants to extend benefits to them than that's fine.

16. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

To clear things up, what do you mean by natural right? Are you saying an illegal immigrant should enjoy and are entitled to the same rights as you and I are as citizens of this country?

17. Tenacious D

Your use of the word "national" defense is curious, given your stated position in regards to illegal immigration.

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I'm of the understanding these rights don't come from America but from a higher power. If not, than the state has the right to take them away too.

19. OrangeEmpire

20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Open boarder doesn't mean no checks of those coming in