Pruitt's strategy

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Dec 13, 2017.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think it means they've got another QB or they didn't want a guy coming off a torn labrum and Penix didn't fit what they wanted

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think Hubbs put out that Sherrer would be DC/ILB, Rocker would be DL and Rumph OLB/DE

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That's generally the make up of a 3-4 staff.

TNT coac, OLB coach, ILB coach, and Secondary which I'd say Pruitt and Fair will tag team.

4. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

This is why I think it's such a good hire for Pruitt. It gives us flexibility to have coaches on hand to be quality coaches for either 1 gap or 2 gap fronts.

I think it's a colossal mistake to try to go to 3-4 at this point, however. But I'm a sideline fan and not a $4mil/year HC that has multiple NC rings.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I doubt we see a full 3-4 movement until next spring. He'll be recruiting towards, but the majority of the time we'll be a 3-3-5 or a nickel. Darrell Taylor and Kyle Phillips are going to be used creatively to bring pressure. I don't know how Kongbo fits.

6. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I think it is fair to worry about this.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The offensive staff isn't on the same level the defensive side is. He's went up and coming on the offensive side. The defensive side are proven recruiting and coaching guys.

8. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

If they can straighten out S&C, the O-Line will be immensely helped. The one thing I continue to worry about is the QB position -can we recruit and/or develop one? Seems like THE glaring issue to me.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Helton has worked for some highly regarded offensive minds, so you would hope he learned something.

If he hires S&C guys like he did defensive coaches, we'll be okay

10. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Recruiting remains to be seen, it'll be very difficult to flip a QB this late in the game and we've already lost or sent packing the 2 we had committed. It will help our resume if Sam Darnold gets drafted high, given Tyson Helton can claim development of him. Darnold spoke highly of Helton in interviews I've seen.

I'm still dubious about how playcalling will work but that will shake out over time.

The talk I've heard regarding QB for this year and the future is some serious grumor-level.

11. dtmvol

dtmvol Member

Any idea why he went that route on the offense? Market driven?

I like what I've seen so far with CJP, but, not having a reassuringly strong O side is concerning as it sounds kind of Muschumpish.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm not too worried about the qb recruiting. It's late, nearly impossible to flip a highly rated guy and the two committed here don't fit what they're moving towards.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's recruiting offensive linemen, so he's ahead of Muschamp so far.

He, Helton and Friend all know each other well, Friend and Helton coached together and I'm assuming they all understand and agree what the offense should be.

14. dtmvol

dtmvol Member

Great, thanks!

15. 10SEvols

10SEvols Member

I'm guessing that sense he let the 2 QB's walk he has 1 lined up already.

16. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Not just OL. I detailed earlier how Muschamp forwent recruiting ALL offensive positions.

So far Pruitt has been lights out bringing in WRs. If the word is true about Copeland, he will have brought in more talent at WR in 2 weeks than Muschamp got in 4 years.

17. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

The one they are talking to that is committed to Cal will need to be a diamond in the rough. No other P5 schools interested. I doubt droski is losing sleep worried over him flipping to us.

18. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

I heard some grumor level mongering about a package Mays/Lawrence deal.

I don't see that happening in the least. If it does I will proclaim Pruitt/Fulmer/Helton as the best recruiters in UT history.

I could see Lawrence/Mays if the staff had more time, but in the short time period and how much success Clemson has had recently... I don't see a flip from them to us.

19. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Tyler Bray was a Cali QB that was seen as a diamond in the rough. Had Kiffin stayed with Chaney, Bray likely would have been a 1st Round pick.

Bray's pre-UT offer list was barren. Just Fresno State and nobody else.

20. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Pruitt just sealed an OV for the #5 CB and #40 overall player.

It's also Warren G's son.