Welcome, Austin Thomas!! We hope you enjoyed your visit!

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Savage Orange, Dec 13, 2017.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Doug Matthews saying he isn't coming

2. ziv1173

ziv1173 Member

This, among several other things, just shows that nothing has changed at all. I'm about to be out unless Pruitt pulls a miracle.

A-Smith likes this.
  3. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Seems likes Pruitt wanted Thomas as his recruiting/player personnel guy and Thomas wanted to be “GM” with more control over additional items like operations, imaging, etc.

If that is the case, I don’t see this as a big deal. We have been hearing Thomas wanted to be at UT, but that doesn’t mean he should get to pick his role.

4. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I know he had some recruiting responsibilities at LSU but wasn't he considered the "first GM" of CFB while there. Why would he take on a lesser role here?

A-Smith likes this.
  5. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Why not? This sucks. Same ole Tennessee.

Okibi2112 and chavisut like this.
  6. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

We root for the biggest train wreck of an organization on planet earth outside of Zimbabwe.

reVOLt and **TDCVOL** like this.
  7. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

Simply unbelievable.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Honestly Austin ranks pretty low on the great staff, coaches, and administration we could have had, but turned away. This should not be a surprise at this point.

9. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

This is a guy that was rumored to be coming almost as soon as Trumpet was fired. Pruitt deserves to organize his staff as he sees fit. If that doesn’t include a GM role or his idea of a GM is different then what Thomas wanted, then so be it.

Why should he be tied to a guy or have to give up x amount of control to a guy that was someone else’s idea instead of his own?

10. chavisut

He shouldn't.

Doesn't mean I have to think he's making a good choice.

This hire was a big deal. It falling through is a big deal.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    dtmvol and Tar Volon like this.
  11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think I agree with you. I wanted him once I knew who he was, but ya. It may be the position we had to fill was smaller than Thomas' footprint.

12. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

I wonder if Thomas lacked leverage that he has had in the past by obviously trying to get the hell out of Baton Rouge. He courted TN instead of letting them come to him.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yes. I think the biggest issue here is the title he wants isn't a position at the University of Tennessee. Can the position be created? Yes, but I don't know if this deal can be saved.

Pruitt and Thomas both want to work together. You would think this can be worked out.

14. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Thomas has been on the radar for weeks and everyone knew he was GM. Doesn’t seem like this should have surprised anyone or wouldn’t have been a speed bump unless there’s a problem somewhere. It isn’t just a misunderstanding.

chavisut likes this.
  15. YankeeVol

YankeeVol Member

Tennessee gonna Tennessee

16. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Fulmer the issue?

17. chavisut

This.

18. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

On Austin Thomas...
    Austin_Price
    Everyone understands there is a Discrepancy on the title but there is also a divide on job responsibilities. Nothing has been decided and Austin is currently waiting to see if the situation can be resolved but he has not heard anything at this point. The vision that was originally pitched to him and the reason he made this move was different once he arrived and saw his MOU. Important to note that Austin has high praise for his initial time with Pruitt and Fulmer. This is not a tense situation and is just a difference in vision.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Both sides are willing to work together to fix the issue

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's not coming. He was promised one thing, offered another. Neither side will budge. [uck fay]ing idiots all around