Netflix Streaming Recommendations/TV Talk

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Aug 31, 2011.

1. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

The king had ~42 kids IRL and the brother really was bi according to history. Some of the sex stuff is gross. My wife quit watching after just the first episode. It was historical and followed a lot of real events so I kept watching and ended up spending half a day reading wikis on the real life persons. I did the same thing with the Crown. I think Crown was done better.

I find the opulence of that time very fascinating. Plus some of the engineering of that time is amazing. (See the Machine de Marly) You look at tech in 19th century America and it makes the older French stuff look amazing. Of course it was a small amount of people with tons of money paying for the best engineering of the day vs. early American settlers with axes living in log cabins. The ornate craftsmanship was stunning.

I dont know how accurate it was to show autopsies of the day and their ability to determine cause of death. I know their ability to cure people was very crude.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I assume it's about Louis XIV and/or XVI?

3. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

I enjoyed Dark. You really have to pay attention because all that wormhole crap will throw you for a loop. There will be a season 2.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Not a huge fan of time travel stories. It has to be done well or in a novel way.

Yes, I liked the Back to the Future movie (2nd and third were meh).

5. Low Country Vol

I think you will be surprised how well the complexity of this story was handled. It takes place in a very small town in Germany with no Nazi or WW2 references. Much of the story line is the Lunar cycle how past, present, and future meet.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Just finished Godless. Really good western series.

The cinematography is fantastic, the characters are well done and the acting is top notch. Jeff Daniels plays an incredible bad guy, so much so I didn't even know it was him for a long time before I actually looked at the credits. The pacing might be a little slow for some people, but I loved it.

chavisut and 10SEvols like this.
  7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Fearless on Amazon Prime was really good.

8. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Sounds like my kind of show.

9. 10SEvols

10SEvols Member

It's worth watching, it does get a little slow in spots but it makes up for it. I enjoyed it. Curious to see what a season 2 will look like.

A-Smith likes this.
  10. dtmvol

dtmvol Member

Just finished "The Keepers." Worth watching, not as interesting or as well done as "Making of a Murderer."

11. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

I'm two shows in. Liking it.

12. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

Season 4 of Peaky Blinders released recently. Halfway in and it's fantastic.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Everyone says this is a good show. Season 1 Episode 1 is as far as I've gotten and it was so boring I could barely believe it. Usually shows to try to start off with some sort of bang to hook you. So insanely dull. Wouldn't even consider watching another episode if not for all the recommendations here. When do things pick up and become entertaining?

14. dtmvol

dtmvol Member

I watched 3 or 4 episodes and never liked it. Maybe I never got over the hump.

15. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I give shows 3-4 episodes to get me

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I watched a few episodes and didn't ever get hooked

17. Low Country Vol

Black Mirror Episode 1. Disturbing

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

And reality caught up to fiction. Prime minister Cameron did EFF a pig as a fraternity stunt, it turned out

19. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I'm four episodes deep right now, and it's just hard to keep everyone straight (which random German adults are related to which random German kids, etc). It's been really intriguing so far though.

20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Same. Didn't care whether that main character lived or died.