Fishing

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by justingroves, Aug 17, 2011.

1. CitrusCo.Vol

CitrusCo.Vol Member

Where do you go out from?

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Panama City

3. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

Spent a few hours on the Pigeon River in NC on our way back from Greenville, damn what a great spot.

Had my 6 weight with me, I'm going to have to set a few days aside and go back with the 4 weight. Great water, I'll need to hit the backcountry .

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

You’ll miss me by 10 days.

5. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Grouper opened her May 1. We caught 2 decent blacks and a bunch of shorts. Seas were 3 to 5 feet. Wasn't easy.

6. Tenacious D

This is a long post. I apologize for nothing.

Went two years ago, full 1/2 day trip (12 hours), out of Panama City pier. $1,500 between the three of us, IIRC.

Myself and two friends get to boat at 6am, as instructed. Nobody onboard. Boat is old, old, old, but nothing obvious suggests that she isn’t seaworthy.

Our party and three other dudes who are also coming with stand on dock, watching several other boats / parties arrive and immediately head out, while we’re waiting on someone to show up. First mate shows up about an hour late. We board, stow shit below, etc. First mate is a little old for what you normally see in a person filling that role (late 40’s / early 50’s), but a nice enough guy. It’s already sprinkling, so we’re sitting down below in large galley / seating area to stay dry, shooting the shit, talking about weather, wondering if the fish are biting, etc. First Mate comes down below and asks for our help in removing the large engine cover, which sits right in the middle of the room we’re in. We oblige. He’s answering our questions, tells us that the boat was built in 1952, and that she normally doesn’t take 12 hour trips, all while pouring no less than 15 quarts of oil in the engine. He says that because of her age, that she’ll “drink the oil” the whole way out, and that they should have replaced the engine two decades ago, but it’s too costly for a boat of that age.

While this is going on, new cat boards the boat and comes below. He’s 45ish, barefoot, wearing a tie-died wife beater that sports a giant pot leaf airbrushed on the front, and jorts. My keen observation skills note that he he also has a mullet, is wearing a large chrome logging chain (think 3” in circumference), and that his 13-day stubble has somewhat masked what must have at some point been a [itch bay]ing goatee. I also noted that he had a very large Albert the Alligator tattoo on the right side of his neck - you know, the old school Gator logo, wearing the sweater with the “F” on it. Given all before me, I am sure that this man must be the Governor of Florida.

Other than a gruff “Hey.” while passing, he largely ignores us as he passes and flops down on his back on the bench seat, using most of our gear as the world’s least comfortable pillow. I made a mental note that he seemed to somewhat struggle in getting his sea legs under him, a fact which grew increasingly concerning, as I realized that we were still tied to the dock and in perfectly calm seas. Fortunately, the mystery is quickly solved, as he begins to tell the First Mate that he was clubbing the night before, and hadn’t slept in 2 days. He looks directly at my friend and gives a quick wink as he says, “I don’t know about the fishing at sea, but the [ussy pay] is plentiful in port.”

At hearing this, I begin an impromptu process of mental calculation as to the likely costs associated with an uncontested divorce, as this will provide the fastest means of starting my life anew, while joining this man on his adventures.

I’ll finish the rest later.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    Joseph Brant likes this.
  7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I feel I have missed the end of the story.

"He was a c"?

Inquiring minds want to know!

8. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

Out on Long Island Sound early this morning, guys we talked to at the marina were coming in with a few good stripers well north of 40 lb.

I got a good sunrise and a morning on the salt, with a few schoolies

9. Tenacious D

Son is fishing with his grandad today.

Sent me a pic of his first catch.

It’s a frog.

[uck fay]ing genetics.

10. NorrisAlan

At least it wasn't a snapping turtle

11. Tenacious D

upload_2018-6-15_13-3-54.jpeg

Clearly, this isn’t my child.

12. Tenacious D

What kind of fish is this?

13. NorrisAlan

Looks like stripers.

Volst53 likes this.
  14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Strippers. Fun as hell to catch once you find a school and their depth

Volalum likes this.
  15. Tenacious D

33094DF6-07E8-4EC3-B955-676FF74A99DE.jpeg

16. NorrisAlan

That is a drum.

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Volgrad98 likes this.
  18. Tenacious D

Fair!

Volst53 likes this.
  19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Trash fish

20. Volalum

Volalum Member

Strippers are absolutely fun when you find a big school. Set up the double hook rig and pull them in two at a time. Spent several afternoons with my grandfather doing this very thing on Pickwick.