$106M Neyland upgrade

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by VolDad, Oct 18, 2016.

1. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Championships matter. At the end of the day, this team will win the same number of championships as last year's team. Who gives a shit if we win 10 games and then get wrecked by Bama in Atlanta?

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

It's better than 5-7 and closing the season losing to Vanderbilt.

3. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

No one disagrees with that, but saying that we are a fundamentally better football team is disingenuous. Michigan, Houston, Louisville, maybe even Miami are improving their programs. We are simply the beneficiary of poor competition. It doesn't matter what way you spin "but we have more wins now compared to last year"; we aren't a championship level team. We won't be while flute-chute is purpling the sidelines yelling at the refs. If you're okay with 8-9 wins each year knowing we aren't playing for championship, he's your man. That assumes - of course - that Missouri, Florida, and Georgia never improve (but they will).

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Championships are what matter and if you are evaluating our progress toward earning one of those, I'd think getting destroyed at home by the likely champion is an important factor to consider.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

We win in Atlanta and I'll tattoo this on my forehead. Otherwise, I don't see the relevance.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

I'm not spinning anything any way. We have more wins at this point than last year. We'll more than likely finish the season with more than last year. Purely objective. Has nothing to do with my feelings towards Butch and whether I think "he's my man." He's not.

7. JohnnyQuickkick

my point was, if we were 3-4 and some VolNation idiot came in here talking about close losses, he'd get rightfully crucified. If losses are losses, then wins are wins, and your W-L record is what you are.

8. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

"You're husband has eliminated all indications of his cancer based on our observations. He was completely incinerated by the car fire."

9. JohnnyQuickkick

I'm not making that argument. 5-2 > 3-4. Why is this hard

10. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

My argument was that while the record indicates improvement, the actual product is stagnant, at best. I didn't think we were arguing that 5 is greater than 3.

11. JohnnyQuickkick

the record is all we have to objectively measure improvement.

12. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

You're right.

13. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I watched many a game with my dad sitting on the hill in the north endzone when they had the green bleachers there.

14. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

This sums up my thoughts nicely.

15. knoxvol

knoxvol Contributor

Big word, college boy.

16. knoxvol

knoxvol Contributor

Track and field analogies do not tell us a lot. Would you rather win an olympic gold or set a world record? Unless you are setting a world (or meet) record and taking a bonus, most sprinters are happy with the win.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Awesome. We were undefeated a few weeks ago. I'm sure your posts at that point match the same level of excitement and optimism you had in the late nineties.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Oh. I forgot there was an objective observations rule only on this site. I'll delete this thread.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

Again I wasn't making some overarching judgment about the future. Keep on keeping on.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

If you are going preface drastically oversimplified statements with passive-aggressive insults about the site, you can keep on somewhere else.