113th United States Open Championship

Discussion in 'Sports' started by hallowed_hill, Jun 10, 2013.

Tags:
  1. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Because you haven't been and can't play. It's a great, great track. 16 17 and 18 are some of the best holes anywhere ever. 18 is as intimidating of a tee shot as there is.

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I promise it's plenty long. In fact, it's freaking long. A few short holes skew the difficulty of the difficult.

3. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

There is interest in the course because I haven't been and can't play? Let me know what that means.

I realize the historical significance of the course. They just seem to be going overboard in explaining all that has had to be done to shove the Open in that tight area, so I wondered exactly why the appeal.

4. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

You realize the historical significance, yet you wonder why the appeal? Do you realize how stupid that sounds? You don't think there is any relation between the two, among the other things? Jesus.

5. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I wouldn't be at all shocked if the tournament comes down to who gets through those three holes with the least amount of trouble.

6. limpleg

Obviously people are attracted to it because it is old. I was looking for more substance, as they were always discussing the obstacles for putting on the tourney. "Because its old" doesn't move me.

Did that explain it for you enough?

7. WM

WM Active Member

Such a bragger.

8. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

It actually makes you sound dumber.

It's one of the greatest golf courses in the world. Do some reading.

9. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Exactly. All the talk about acreage is just useless fodder created by ESPN and that bunch of invalids.

10. limpleg

**** off. All I did was ask a question. If you can't answer it, let someone else who can. What makes it one of the greatest golf courses in the world? Evidently, you have no idea either.

11. limpleg

Some of the players were concerned about the "quirks" of the course and logistics. Also saw another player say he had a wedge in his hands for his 2nd shot on 9 of first 13 holes in his practice rounds, and there isn't a par 5 after the 4th hole. For tbose reasons and more, I axed the question.

12. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Don't get pissy with me because you'd rather shoot your mouth off than do any real research and reading on a subject you're obviously misinformed about.

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Is anywhere streaming it this morning? I've got to be in the office and wouldn't mind watching it.

14. limpleg

I'm not pissy. Just responding to your posts where you are acting like a [penis], and have no substance to add to the topic.
    Back tees today for the first time and a 98 yard hole today. Will be interesting.

15. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

16. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Stop being a moron limp [penis]. It has reprieves, can be intimidating as hell, tests everything in the bag and damn well, is woven into a beautiful old neighborhood, clubhouse and turn shack are old, old traditional, the baskets are badass and it's hard as hell, with no rough.

Your wedge comment from whoever is idiotic. The green slopes and danger necessitate the wedges. Of the open tracks I've been on and seen, it's my favorite.

17. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I am pissed that I left and didn't see Mickelson kill it at the end. Those two 4 woods at 18 were insane.

The guts to hit that off the tee amazes me. It looks like a mile to crest that little sliver of tongue.

18. limpleg

I understand your point ********. I just don't like the course as much as others. I think the rough it ridiculous and I don't think hitting a hybrid down the pipe on rolled fairways that rolls into crazy rough for a double is a great design. Good shots are punished too much here, imo.

I didn't ask anyone to agree, nor did I tell you or anyone else they were wrong. I think it's gimmicky, but also can understand the other extreme as to why it's an appeal.

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

You said some stupid shiz about it being a joke if that setup happened in TN. That's stupid. This joint has plaques that talk to the history and a group of champions that attest to the legitimacy of the test. Very few tracks retain the history of the sport the way Merion does. Standing above 17 is as good as behind 12 at Augusta. You can see the snaking and wicked 16th, brutal 17th and an 18th that looks impossible.

The dichotomy of the easy ones with the brutal ones is how golf should be. The ridiculous repeated 450 plus par 4s with all speed greens makes this joint even more awesome.

20. limpleg

I was talking about the players signing in and eating at peoples homes, teeing off on 11, the mile drive from the practice tee, traffic, lack of fan access, etc.

I think if the FedEx st Jude tournament had that all going on, people would be *****ing like crazy. I don't know why that opinion is such a bad one or causes so much angst. I think this course punishes too many good golf shots as well. So what. I respect the history, but just don't like the way the course plays man. Big deal.