'14 MD OLB Jerome Dews

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by zero-sum, Jun 25, 2013.

1. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

I see nothing wrong with a verbal from this kid at this time. They can always push grey shirt (something Butch liked to do at Cincy) or push him elsewhere down the road depending on whom else they land in the fall/winter. I doubt this kid is going to scare off many higher rated prospects.

2. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

At 6'4.....he is light in weight, but still pretty young at 16.

He looks and seems pretty athletic...can help but wonder if they like his prospects to move to DE. That essentially gives him 2.5 years (assuming RS) to add weight.

3. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

was reading that as he was running back from a drill, he picked up a glove in stride and looked smoothe. Coaches asked him to do it a couple more times and said his footwork, ability to bend and agility came natural, especially for a 6'4 kid. Sounds to me they think they have a natural athlete that may be built to come around the edge with good bend, lean and footwork.
    Mold'em up.
    jmo, but I love the idea that a coach sees something and goes with it. We have coaches on here and all of them know they can see a kid with special instinct or footwork pretty quickly, even if he isn't the best kid on the field yet.

4. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

didn't this kid get like 14 sacks last year? Thought i read that but i may be mistaken

5. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

On JV? Is 14 sacks really that impressive in high school for a Division 1 type prospect? I honestly don't know.. I feel like I watched Jacques Smith do that on varsity as a freshman.

6. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

He got 14 sacks as a Jr, did he not? I thought he was a soph on Jv, transferred and had 14 sacks as a Jr on the varsity squad.

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I believe it is now being stated that he has an offer if the numbers work out, and if not a grey shirt.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The #1 overall draft pick this year was a guy Butch signed because no one else wanted him...

(That's my homer post of the day)

9. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Hahaha

10. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

That is how it will work out.

Butch Jones isn't dumb enough to throw a scholly at some no name kid after running a handful of drills. That is Jim Chaney's deal, offer some UTC level kids when u know you won't be here to coach them, then go get the weekly royal treatment at their school all under the guise of 'crootin.

11. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

12. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Plus, I wonder if the scouting peeps are as good with kids in the DC area as they are with kids in the south. Just a thought.

13. kidbourbon

This is retarded.

If a guy comes to your camp, you value him on what you see. If not, why even have the camp? I remember there was this kid who came to camp when Kiffin was coach and completely dominated. He was a CB, and no one was able to catch a pass on him -- apparently the other campers were calling him "the truth". But he was also an unknown 2-star at the time. Kiffin didn't offer him. Les Miles did.

His name was Tyrann Mathieu.

14. kidbourbon

Learn to read. He wasn't on JV last year.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  15. kidbourbon

And, for the record, I came here after noticing his lack of stars and looking into what was going on. Based on what I've read, I'm not concerned anymore.

16. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

I don't read I just look at the stars, offers and tape.

17. kidbourbon

You clearly try to read. You just don't always succeed.

18. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Sorry - no I don't.

19. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Yes we are all familiar with that story.

20. kidbourbon

And what do you take from it?