19 victims and counting

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by 615 Vol, May 22, 2015.

1. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Ha! My partner has a monster excel for finances too. He has everything in there, complete with projections.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Guys for $5 a month at most there are programs that do this for you and are much more accurate and take into account tons of factors. Just saying

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Btw I know this because I used to do excel cash flow and retirement spreadsheets for clients back before these programs existed.

4. gcbvol

I get that but he enjoys it. As long as it makes him happy.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Ha ha true.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I don't do much in the projection department other than the simple if we save this much this long at this average rate.

I just have a system down and don't want to change it.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Every accountant i know has a retirement spreadsheet

8. CardinalVol

I have the checkbook register tab. And then I have a monthly budget tab for each month that I keep for 2 years. And then I have a fund tab that keeps tally of everything from Christmas to vacation to major home repair to individual splurge money. And a tab that reconciles it all together.

I started it back when it was just me. And then it just grew. It works, it could just probably be simplified.

9. CardinalVol

I've become pretty good friends with our advisor. If I need anything fancy I just call him.

10. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I'm not even an accountant yet and I have a bunch of these type of spreadsheets.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

People I'm not criticizing. I just find it funny that we have so many detail oriented people here

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Many ways to skin a cat.

13. CardinalVol

I also require excel column width to be 15.00 when possible.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I put borders on things I never plan to show to clients

15. CardinalVol

I'm starting to become really Anal about valuation format for clients.

16. gcbvol

I'm OCD about gridlines in Excel. Must be hidden.

17. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

For the non married, weddings can actually be pretty cheap. First of all, there's plenty of places to have the ceremony on the cheap. Second, we had our reception at The Foundry and I thought it was relatively inexpensive for what we got (prime rib and chicken). Third, a good wedding planner, who really knows their shit, is invaluable.

Three things that cost lots of money you don't even think about:

Photographer
    Flowers
    Her dress

Get creative on those three and you'll get out from under the wedding for far less than you think.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Ours wasn't horribly expensive, but if I had wanted to do it cheaper I definitely could have. Just have ample booze and good food (notice I didn't say expensive food). I went to a wedding in a park where they hired a taco truck and got two kegs of premium beer and ample other top shelf booze. Probably spent $2-3k total and it was awesome.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

She's half-Italian and grew up a stone's throw from Long Island Sound... Shit.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

No. But I have a mindset where I'm always projecting ahead. At the end of this school year I'll either be finished or quitting. Either way, I'll move to her or she'll move to where ever I end up. I expect we'll co-habitate at that point right away or after a couple of months depending how I feel at the time. At that point, I start a clock of common decency and it will start ticking. I'll need to propose within 12 months of co-habitating or break up with her. She's 30 and wants kids and it would be unfair to maintain a relationship with her if I am not interested in providing her that. She's nothing like the sort of person I thought I would end up with, and that's probably the best thing for me. She's social, I'm not. She's creative and fashionable, I'm a hermit. I'm pessimistic about the present and optimistic about the future, she's rosy today and leery about tomorrow. I have a penis, she has a vagina.

I do worry that I've corrupted her spiritually and politically because she used to be more agnostic and moderate, but she says I give myself way too much credit.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015