2014 Midterm Election- Results/What's to come

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by JayVols, Nov 5, 2014.

1. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

this is delusional. Every idiot up there is today figuring out how much money to raise and how to use the federal coffers to buy the next election. Every freaking one of them.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I thought we were talking about upward mobility.

We currently have the highest percentage of small business owners in American history.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Exactly. Democrats wanted Obamacare so they had sometime to point to about helping the little people. Already are doing it btw. Never did they think this would blow up like it did.

When republicans lower taxes they are similarly motivated. "See that extra money you have is because of me!"

In the end a politicians job is to get reelected.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

And by every idiot, you mean every member of Congress, right? And who is the majority party now? So you are agreeing with me that acting like vote-buying is a Left wing thing is a copout. Thanks.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Oh, you realize that your remark doesn't only apply to the Left, and thus does not have explanatory power of Republican defeats. Cool. Weird detour you took.

6. volinbham

volinbham Member

I just don't see what you are basing that on. What's your evidence? (this it Jay's contention that Dems' aren't even half as committed as Reps)

I mean this is exactly the charge a lot of hardcore Rs make - that R's are wimps and don't push their convictions as hard as Dems do. That's why I say it the view from where you sit. Hell, that's what the TP fracture in the R party is all about.

From my vantage point the parties look pretty damn equal on this count.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  7. volinbham

volinbham Member

8. volinbham

volinbham Member

I was not commenting on the intentions. I make it a habit not to attribute motives or intentions when I don't have direct knowledge of that. I was using it as example of how Dems DO follow through on their beliefs in a hard core fashion (or at least as hardcore as Reps). Are you implying that Republicans are heartless?

Jay seems to believe that because ACA wasn't even more in terms of a public option it means Dems don't follow their convictions the way Reps do but I simply disagree.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

No...? How on Earth do you get that I was implying Republicans are heartless? I literally didn't even mention them. I don't know why I even bother with these threads. If you guys aren't going to bother to PM the script for the character I am apparently cast as, I don't see how I can deliver the lines.

10. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

11. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

What about appointees? Statements were made very publicly that obstruction was the strategy. I don't see how it's even debatable. And I'm not saying you have no point, but still.

Let me say that I think the idea of needing 60 votes is ludicrous regardless who's in power. So is the virtual filibuster. You want to filibuster? Stand your ass up there and do it. I dpespise Ted Cruz, but the guy has a set of balls. They're nutball balls, but balls nonetheless.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  12. volinbham

volinbham Member

Dude - I was playing off the last line in your quote where you said "they aren't heartless" referring to Dems. Since the thread was going back and forth about Reps vs Dems I innocently asked if you were implying that them not being heartless or deriving policy from "good intentions" was a differentiator.

I'm not casting you as anything. I'm not accusing you of anything. I'm simply asking for clarification of what you meant. You responded to my post that had nothing to do with intentions of legislation by defending the intentions of the legislation. I'm not sure where that came from so I responded.

For future reference I'm not imagining you as some character. I'm going off what you post and asking for clarification where needed.

13. JayVols

We don't see eye to eye on many things, but this is why I don't mind talking about our differences with you. You're straightforward and are willing to point out warts regardless of which side they are on.

14. JayVols

We'll just disagree. Which is fine with me.

15. volinbham

volinbham Member

Can we agree that both sides have been obstructionist? That both sides have been more concerned with preserving/winning positions than moving good ideas forward?

16. JayVols

Absolutely.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

who said it doesn't only apply to the left? far more takers than producers in this country. dems vote buying works better.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

BPV. Argue with him.

Yes, the election results really illustrate the success of Dem vote-buying. If it weren't for all that vote-buying, they would have had negative turnout.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

intended outcomes don't always meet reality. I'm sure they thought that they'd be basking in praise from the little guy by this point in obamacare's history. instead it's exactly the opposite.

20. JayVols

It seems the Rs voter supression efforts are far more. prevalent/successful than Ds vote buying, no??????