2014 Midterm Election- Results/What's to come

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by JayVols, Nov 5, 2014.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the supposed new star is that Wisconsin governor. I saw his acceptance speech and I can't say I came away impressed.

2. volinbham

volinbham Member

Hard to say what this means for Hillary. I still don't see a challenger on the D side and a couple that might lost some elections. Warren is a wildcard and her entry would force Hillary to move more left than she'd like to.

Not much to choose from on the R side. Paul is the wildcard and I think he could beat Hillary by shifting the mix among young voters and among African American voters. He'll have trouble getting through the primary.

I would love to see Mitch Daniels run but he won't.

Perry, Santorum, Huckabee are all tools.

Cruz is borderline insane.

Ryan is good at policy and at changing details while keeping the same goal but he'll be destroyed as hating children, women, minorities etc if he makes the general.

Kasich has a good story to tell and broad support in an important state but I don't know if he'll run.

Christy, Bush, Romney would be like 2012 where Rs stay home.

Ben Carson could start strong but being so new to politics I can see him getting burned early and making some real mistakes.

At this point I'd still put money on Hillary by default

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Seemed to give Tenny movement.

4. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

A growing number of my friends and acquaintances who typically vote D want Elizabeth Warren. Hillary's support appears to be steadily waning.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

A lot of Dems will stay home for Hillary. I know how crazy that probably sounds, but it is true.

6. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Warren is too liberal to win, further left than Obama. I wish she could win, though. Hillary better be able to step up because there's no one and I mean no one else left for the Democrats. The one saving grace is that there's not much out there for the Republicans, either, except for a smattering of folks that aren't quite good enough to get elected.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I know and I don't get it. perhaps it's just that we have such low expecations at this point. he seemed almost biden like to me. the type of guy who will say something incredibly stupid at some point.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think Warren could win just by being fresh, combined by nothing inspiring for Repubs. I don't see a Romney type beating her.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

I wish Biden and Reid had switched jobs a long time ago.

10. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Yep, Biden, as I mentioned to droski a few times, was fantastic in the Senate. He has been mostly wasted as VP, unfortunately, becoming a caricature when he had a very distinguished record as a Congressman.

11. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Warren's stock does seem to be rising.

12. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Scott Brown agrees with this.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I like her a lot. Hard to believe a free market type could win the democratic nomination though. edit: though I noticed on her Wikipedia page she went full tax the rich during her campaign and full on raising the minimum wage to ridiculous levels. goes against her prior writings, but I guess you have to do what you have to do to win.

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Justin Amash of Michigan would be a interesting for the GOP

15. volinbham

volinbham Member

Wait - you consider Warren to be a free market type? Are we talking about Elizabeth Warren? What am I missing?

16. Richard Dick

Richard Dick New Member

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Elizabeth Warren. That said, electing her in the primary is about the only way dems could blow the presidential election in 2016.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

She was when she was at the fed

18. volinbham

volinbham Member

define free market? In looking at her policy prescriptions she is pretty heavy on using the government to make things "fair". In some cases that could be free market by eliminating carve outs for certain industries (of which I'm an enthusiastic supporter). In many other cases it's using regulatory and revenue frameworks to effect "equality". In general she appears to be relatively hostile to business or at a minimum not "pro-business". Seems to be one of those who love employees but hate employers.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Fair enough. I heard her talk at the fed and haven't really kept up on her

20. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator