2015 annual End of World thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Sep 2, 2015.

Tags:
  1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

It will never end. People have claimed the world is ending since man first walked upright and looked at the death and destruction that constantly went on around him.

2. NorrisAlan

Simply state "You can die tomorrow, live a good life today". I can claim, rightfully so, that for this conditioned being called NorrisAlan, the world will end within 50-60 years, tops.

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Some of them do.

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That only carries so far and doesn't tie into all the negatives they see in the world.

5. JohnnyQuickkick

I think also, the public attention goes to a handful of usual suspects. They probably believe it. But they're a tiny % of pastors, let alone believers. They have their followers too but it just isn't that mainstream among Christians, at least in my experience

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Ever pastor I've ever heard has a living in the last days sermon.

7. JohnnyQuickkick

Technically we are "living in the last days" according to scripture but the ones that try to quantify that in any way are vastly in the minority

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

But that's been the message since the passing of Jesus. Humans will always be in the last days because what is described is just human nature and vague.

9. JohnnyQuickkick

I don't think it's supposed to be otherwise

10. NorrisAlan

Do you not believe in the Tribulation and making of the new world as a literal event that will happen sometime in the future? Honest question.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

They'll move the goalposts. Folks have been doing this for 2000 years (at least, probably more but I'm just most familiar with the Christian tradition of it. Muslims do it too, that's partly what ISIS is about).

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Biblical Jesus stated that there were people alive that would see it (I think). That didn't happen so now it's a metaphor.

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

No.

14. JohnnyQuickkick

Yeah I do. Haven't the first clue when

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Matthew 16:28? "Truly I say to you, there are some of those who are standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom."

16. NorrisAlan

17. CardinalVol

Which in the context of that section is referring to his death and resurrection which would be the initiation of the kingdom, not the final fulfillment of new earth.

18. NorrisAlan

Why all the vagueness and need for interpretation? Always one of my pet peeves. Too many times, the same passage can be interpreted however you want it to be, based on the reality of the times. I am sure in the past many took Matthew 16:28 to mean that Jesus was supposed to come back and actually give out judgment, as in Judgment Day. Now, we know it didn't happen, so we just re-interpret and say "In the past, people just didn't understand what he meant and interpreted it wrong."

Just speak in plain words, give me a list, and let me follow it.

19. CardinalVol

Jesus really didn't do lists.

20. CardinalVol

Look, I'm not saying it isn't confusing, and quite frankly, there are times i wish it were straight forward or easier. But I will wholeheartedly say that if you piece the bible together, it works.