2015 Hoops Recruiting

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by dknash, Apr 8, 2015.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

[video=youtube;AE0wxdtRJjk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE0wxdtRJjk[/video]

Guy has serious hops

2. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Willie Carmichael is transferring per KNS. So that's two spots now. Barnes mentioned that he was still going after 3-4 (or was it 4-5?) prospects. He also mentioned knowing more about roster numbers after finals were over, which could indicate some academic risks? Or there could just be the two spots and he's looking for backup plans.

Izundu visited UNCC again and is supposed to decide May 15. The HS coach is the media's point of contact and comes across as hysterical. According to him Miami is Izundu's favorite now (before even visiting)? Okay. The AAU coach has always been Oliver's connection, and hopefully he has the influence in the recruitment.

Alexander visited New Mexico and is now done with visits and deciding by this weekend.

Three more names that could be among the 3-5 guys Barnes is still looking at: LaGerald Vick (4* SG, Memphis), Jordan Murphy (3* SF, Texas), and Noah Phalluserson (4* PF, GA/FL). Vick committed to SMU for 2016, but he has decommitted and could reclassify to '15. Murphy was a Shaka Smart commit at VCU, and he has also decommitted and seems not to have been an immediate take for Shaka at Texas. ****erson was rumored to be looking around if Billy Donovan left Florida, but for now is still committed to the Gators.

3. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Vick is still trying to reclassify, but it's a fluid situation... Also, some big boys like UK are possibly looking at getting in the mix with him if he moves back to the 15 class...

He was originally a '15, then reclassified to '16 bc of grade issues and now may go back to '15.... Parrish says a lot of coaches being careful here bc they don't want to get burned on something suspicious if he makes up eye popping amount grade wise.....

They say he is a kid that could potentially (key word) be one that flies under the radar similar to a Cameron Payne also from Memphis

Edit: has now picked up a Kansas offer

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  4. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Also, the kid that Tyndall was recruiting from Arky, who chose UF is now asking out of his LOI... Arky and TN were the others involved I think...Keyvaughn Allen

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Looks like Alexander is in the fold

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

6'10 dude with some ability. We're going to be okay.

7. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

6'10 200? Wow, and we thought Carmichael was a bean pole. Needs serious w/ our Dietitian and S&C program

8. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Owens was worse

9. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

We've at least got athleticism and length in the frontcourt now

10. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

2014-15 roster shows him @ 205. 200, 205, 210, ... no matter, boyz are too thin I'd like to see 'im get up there w/ Kasongo

11. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Headed in the right direction that's for sure

12. JohnnyQuickkick

Owens made Isiah Victor look like Andy Ikeakor.

13. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

I've got turds as big around as Owen's arms

14. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Izundu appears to have eliminated us. Final 3 are Arky, Miami, and I forgot. Here we go, Cinci... Cinci... Cincinotgonnagothereanyways. That sure went south in a hurry after the OV. Wonder if maybe Barnes didn't want to "play ball?" Idle speculation.

The staff had shown interest in a grad transfer post from Central Arkansas, James White. He released a list without Tennessee included; however it's possible that the staff increases their efforts with Izundu now seemingly out of the picture.

Jermaine Ruttley is another late-emerging grad transfer in whom the staff has shown interest. PG from FAMU with decent numbers. Was committed to Michael White at Dooley Tech. His Twitter handle is @Do_I_lovehoes, so I'm assuming that he is very interested in pursuing agriculture. But then why does he leave Florida A&M? Life's mysteries.

Noah Diickerson is now requesting a release from his LOI at Florida. The terms of release could still preclude him landing here.

One spot officially open after Carmichael's transfer. One more spot hinted at by VQ. I would think only grad transfers or coaching carousel decommits make sense at this point.

15. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Izundu committed to Miami.

16. JohnnyQuickkick

didn't want

17. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

18. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Picked up a crystal ball for 2015 KY SF Dikembe Dixson today.

Wait, who? Anyways, according to Ben Frederickson, things seem to be gathering steam. 247 and old article.

Ex-Florida signee Noah ****erson got an unconditional release from his LOI and is free to sign anywhere.

-----

VQ did an about face and no longer thinks anyone will transfer out. So if we take Dixson, that could be it, as he would fill the spot vacated by Carmichael. ****erson or an undergrad transfer would be the other two options for the final spot at present (or saving it for 2016, but it doesn't look like Barnes is done with 2015).

It's also rumored that Ian Chiles didn't meet the requirements for a grad transfer, meaning UT would be banned from taking any grad transfers for a few years (although this year is likely the last year before it changes).

19. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Can you explain more about your last paragraph? I don't know the rules.

20. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Not sure I'll be much help. I'm just repeating, and it was vague.

Actually, here's a couple articles. The first breaks down the two types of graduate transfers currently on the books. Of note, if an athlete has not transferred before and uses the exception, the oft-cited need to join a graduate program not offered by the previous school doesn't apply.

The second talks about the SEC looking into setting up some restrictions. Actually, now that I read it, the answer may be right here:

So if the rumor is true, it would appear that Chiles ran afoul of an SEC rule. According to the article, the NCAA only requires grad transfers to pass 6 hours of grad courses per semester. It mentions that the SEC could have different (tougher) standards, which regrettably I can't find (can't find the NCAA's punishment either).

So my interpretation is that the NCAA would still approve graduate transfers to Tennessee (unless Chiles totally bombed and their punishment is something similar), but the SEC would reject them (in basketball) for the next three seasons. That's the same setup that happened with Eric McKnight last year (just for a different reason, suspensions while at FGCU).

And then there's talk that the NCAA will reform the graduate transfer rules in the next year, which could render it all moot after this season.