2016 - Hypotheticals

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Jun 27, 2017.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I seem to recall 2005 people were still clinging to the hope that the team really was at least somewhat as good as the preseason hype. UGA pretty well erased that. I think we ended up scoring like on the last play of the game to make it a tad closer.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Could have sworn the game where they scored late first half on the fumble return was later in his tenure, like 05.

Only game I ever left early. Was miserable.

3. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Goodness, it's been a long time since I thought about 2003 UGA. That game sucked so bad. Mark Jones had a pretty badass play though.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

http://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay?gameId=252812633

That was the case.

Our only score in the game until the end was a 1 yard sneak after a 24 yard INT return. Yet with six and a half minutes to go we punt. This was the game I think I finally knew it was all over for Fulmer.

5. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Damn, don't remember that. That's pretty bad.

6. CardinalVol

I was off a tad, it was with 6 minutes left.

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Butch says it was the smart play.

8. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Over twenty years of coaching and he's hit double digits twice.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Only game I've ever left early

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Something similar happened against UF in 2008, also at home.

11. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Fair to question it, but UT's schedule last year was incredibly weak. Tennessee was the more talented team in how many games last year?11? 10 for sure. The 2004 Auburn team was obviously badass but it's not like Tubs ever really had huge talent advantages. UGA and LSU were probably always close to even or more talented. Bama was right there.

12. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Gotta give the defense a chance to make critical plays in critical situations.

13. CardinalVol

YEah, but our offense was less than nonexistant that day. It was awful.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Just looked at the box score from '08 game. We actually had equal # first downs and just a hair more yardage than UF in 2008. Wouldn't have guessed that. We got our asses kicked.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think if it were fresh, you'd have been aware. It was a big story line after the game among UT fans.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I was at the game. Felt like domination in all facets. Urban against Phil was just an embarrassment. He could have stayed here another thirty years and never beaten him.

The other day I heard Jimmy Hyams and another guy were acting like we never should have fired Fulmer. The way the conference was set back then there was no choice. He was solidly behind three coaches just in our division and another three in the West.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I mean that you were probably aware of that in terms of stats, because everyone was talking about how we were so whipped while not so much on the stat sheet. Or maybe you weren't, I dunno. I just remember that being the lament.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

just had to wait it out for 9 years, I guess.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Probably knew it at the time. There were enough lamentations at that time that My mind probably chose to let some go. Might have gotten buried beneath the sweet memories of that classic 2008 UT-Auburn game.

20. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

I'd like to see this applied for 2015. Numbers probably would be pretty similar.