POLITICS 2018 Midterms

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by CardinalVol, Oct 5, 2018.

1. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Easier to convince them to care if they don't have to jump through perceived hoops just to go out and vote.

Automatic registration would boost turnout for sure. Add that and say vote by mail and I bet Tennessee, for example, is no longer a shit turnout state.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

In full disclosure - I do think you should have to be able to pass a basic civics test in order to vote. Nothing hard, just 10-15 questions, bare basics. Once every 10-20 years or so, get to 65 or so and you get it for rest of life.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Perhaps it is where I have lived, but I have never had to jump through hoops to vote, be it here in East Tennessee or in Connecticut.

kmf600 and Volst53 like this.
  4. CardinalVol

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Show them my drivers license, sign name, and vote.

There’s more trouble and hassle at a build a bear.

6. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Perceived hoops. Enough people think you have to stand in line for 2 hours, they are gonna skip it entirely.

7. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Why can't you just be registered when you register to drive or get an ID? Why should it be another step?

JayVols likes this.
  8. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Further, why should anyone have to worry about being purged a month from the deadline, a la Georgia

JayVols likes this.
  9. CardinalVol

Ask Democrats. It's their law.

10. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Bottom line, even if it's easy for you, it may not be as easy for someone else. It also isn't as easy as it could be

11. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

So? Doesn't make it right.

If you want a Republican law, why are Republicans in Wisconsin cutting 4 weeks off the early voting period?

Hell, as far as I know NVRA still exists, why aren't more states registering people automatically?

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I registered in high school. We all had the option at the end of our senior year. I’ve just had to let them know when I’ve moved.

I’d say you could do it online now or at your local county government office.

It’s not this high hurdle that is keeping people home. People don’t vote because they don’t want too.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  13. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Also, purges increased under Kemp... A Republican. So he suddenly decided to start following the law in a close election year in which he was a candidate? Not shady at all

14. NorrisAlan

I would say "Meh, they are all crooks" and "Meh, my vote won't matter anyway" keeps people away more than anything.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I've basically stopped giving a shit nationally but I'm pretty tied in locally.

Nationally it's all bullshit.

16. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

That's a discourse and media problem.

17. NorrisAlan

I think it is a humanity problem. You can have a large discourse and the most unbiased and open media, and people would still think it.

IMHO.

18. CardinalVol

They've neither voted nor replied to the state. Seriously. It's not even an automatic purge. The 50K exaact match deal - problem. The use it or lose it........again, a hair of responsibility and it's not a problem.

How long is early voting currently? 12 weeks? 5 weeks?

19. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Washington has vote by mail and had 72 percent returned. Oregon does as well and had 71 percent in 14, and was on pace to eclipse that.

That's higher that Tennessee in Presidential years.

20. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Going from 6 weeks to 2 weeks.

And again, automatic registration fixes it. Bad law.