2019-2020 Season

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Indy, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

If we are sitting at 19-15 with two wins over Kentucky...maybe.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

but it doesn't take away the loss to Auburn and that alone wasn't getting us in...

will take a hell of a run. historically, conference tournament wins count less than regular season wins. We gotta win it all.

3. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Seems like the only thing a conference tournament does is knock you up or down a seed

IP likes this.
  4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

We dont have the depth to make a 3 or 4 day run. Fulk will be beat to hell and backups cant play decent basketball even for 2-3 minutes.

utvol0427 likes this.
  5. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

I agree with the overall premise that we better plan on winning the whole thing to get in, but the bubble is so pitiful that I would not be surprised if winning 2 in the tournament gives us a decent chance. Almost every bubble team lost Saturday. I imagine the committee will be looking for anything at this point.

6. LawVol16

LawVol16 Member

The biggest problem at this point is sheer number of losses. Unless we win out, we’ll be sitting with 15 losses. I believe 2017 Vandy is the only team to receive an at-large bid with that many losses. If the Big 10 wasn’t going to eat up 10 or 11 bids, there might be a chance, but I don’t currently see any path in that doesn’t include winning the conference tournament.

Ultimately, this is going to be one of those season where we didn’t catch enough breaks. Some games we were done in by poor execution (Memphis, at Auburn). Others were the result of pitiful officiating (A&M, at SC). By my recollection, Alabama and VCU were really the only coin-flip games that went our way. Throw in a season-ending injury to your best player and here you are. KenPom’s luck metric reflects this ranking us as the 236 luckiest team in the country.

SetVol13 likes this.
  7. Ssmiff

Pons is D poy voted on by coaches. Not sure UT has had a player win it before.
    Fulky made 2nd team.

Tenacious D likes this.
  8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Am I the only person who feels like there’s a legitimate chance we lose Pons to the NBA this year? Am I crazy for thinking that?

I don’t think he’s ready or should leave, but he’s so damn athletic, and winning SEC defensive player of the year isn’t a small thing.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

no, I said it 2 months ago

10. Ssmiff

I dont think he has the shot or ballhandling ability to go

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Not to play right away but I wouldn’t be just completely stunned if somebody took a flyer on him. I think it’s unlikely though

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Stop trying to take credit for my idea.

13. Unimane

He might be able to pull off being the French Kenneth Faried.

14. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

15. Unimane

If we can't have March Madness, then what is the point of anything anymore?

2Maggitt2Quit, Ssmiff and OneForVol like this.
  16. Ssmiff

isn't Faried quite a bit bigger? Feel like Pons would need to match up with a 2, but on the offensive end, I don't know what they would do with him. If he could find a way to handle the ball and penetrate, it'd be a different ballgame for him

17. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Pons has improved on both ends but he needs more time (with the same continued improvement) to make it in the league.

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

How is the T$$AA not going to shut down State tournament in basketball with everything that has broke today

IP and Tenacious D like this.
  19. IP

IP Super Moderator

shut it all down

20. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

The game and the rest of the tournament is canceled according to Jeff Goodman