2019-2020 Season

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Indy, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Pons shoulda responded by rhyming a word with itself over and over

2. Ssmiff

btw Pons and Fulk went for 29 and 9 vs Washington's 2 supposed lottery picks, who were #3 and #8 rated recruits in the country.

3. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Proposal to refer to Fulk and Pons as 'The Fons' moving forward.

Tenacious D and OneForVol like this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

was going to run with the Incredible Fulk

5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I'm still reluctant to fully believe in Pons, but I'm hopeful this form, or something similar, is his true level these days.

6. Ssmiff

hes at 67% from 2 and 63% from 3. He'll go cold, but knowing the capability is there helps the our and his mindset

7. Unimane

Tennessee checks in at #20 in the AP poll this week.

chavisut likes this.
  8. IP

IP Super Moderator

we took Washington's spot from them by force.

9. Unimane

Rolling in at #17 in the coaches poll. Obviously, the more respected poll.

A-Smith likes this.
  10. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Checks out.

kptvol likes this.
  11. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Memphis sports radio spent a good hour [itch bay]ing about Barnes' selfishness after he said he doubted the Memphis series would get renewed.

I think it's a fun game and everything, but not sure what they expected when one coach tells another coach to publicly [uck fay] off.

12. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

The next time I give a shit about Memphis will be the first time that I’ve given a shit about Memphis.

13. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

While incredibly early, I was egregiously wrong in making fun of Pons’ abilities in the off-season. He still can’t dribble, but he’s playing like a legit threat now, and I’m glad to have been wrong.

And speaking of wrong....

With his signing the 4th best class and three 5*’s, I was obviously and indefensibly wrong about Barnes’ desire to build a powerhouse here, and to actually close the deal on high level recruits.

I’ll own my shit, and am glad to be badly wrong on both counts.

VOLinDAWGland and Indy like this.
  14. Unimane

Yeah, I love when the Memphis start thinking they are a bigger deal than they actually are. The reason the series is over is due to Barnes not liking Penny and the things he's said. There are other games out there for us.

15. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Memphis isn’t worth it for the recruiting, either. Never has been worth the effort for what little quality we’ve gotten out of there

16. Ssmiff

There is an inherant hate for the hill by a lot of people in that city. UT fans tend to be the ones that got away from there.

17. Volokie

Volokie Active Member

If I’m wrong please correct me. My impression of the town is it’s like a foreign object in a body. They don’t seem to like anyone from the state of Tennessee unless they’re from Memphis, they don’t like being affiliated with the state, they seem like they’d rather be a town from another state. There is some talent there but the attitude is so bad that it’s uncoachable and won’t accept discipline. The town, even when they get a good team in any sport won’t support them financially, could be why their so intent on getting Knoxville money to play them. Seems to me a coach like Hardaway will naturally gravitate there, fits right in.

18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I’ve always thought of it as kind of an unofficial District of Columbia. I’m not from there (from central west Tennessee) but I’ve always heard that there’s a lot of hangers-on and handlers or whatever that put a lot of pressure on the kids to stay there if possible or just not go to UT, and they’ve got the kids identified early in their high school years if not before

19. Ssmiff

look at the racial breakdown in demographics between Memphis and Knoxville. There has been and will always be a segment of Memphis with a distrust of Knoxville and their 70% white majority. Memphis is 30% white. It is what it is. Been that way since I grew up there in the 70's. Lived in Memphis, Knoxville, and Nashville and they are all different. Mom still lives at Quince and Ridgeway. She has some great families and neighbors around her of all races, but its hard to explain Memphis unless you've seen all sides of it. Race and politics, going back to the powerful and corrupt Ford family, have always been a challenge.

20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain