POLITICS 2020 Election

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by CardinalVol, Nov 7, 2018.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

well he said if he was president he would have shut us down longer and would have done it again during the resurgence.

How is he going to shut down the virus without shutting down the economy?

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

More access to rapid testing, more contact tracing, trying to encourage more mask wearing and social distancing through cultural acceptance, having a centralized strategy, etc.

It won't be like he is going to flip a switch and this goes away. The irony is that probably 2 to 3 hundred thousand will die in the coming year and that will be used against him. But that is starting to be baked in from where we are today. Just like us having another 100k dead over the next 2 or 3 months is starting to be baked in.

One can do a better job at this point in time, but that job will not be the same better job that could have been done earlier. We're really in a pickle. It isn't entirely anyone's fault, but we still need to get serious and quit saying shit that isn't true. Which currently is happening many times a day by the POTUS. It won't solve everything and didn't cause everything, but it is having a negative effect.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

And Biden doesn't have to be elected for us to do a better job. The GOP (Senate) can help Trump out of the current messaging that more or less doubles down on a fantasy. We just have to get real on the situation, no matter what is ultimately done. I can understand and respect those who question the burden being put on the young who have little mortality risk, so long as we are being real that the consequences to folks over 60 are very [uck fay]ing real and they should be well aware of their situation.

5. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Interesting map from Nate Silver. If polls are as wrong as they were in ‘16 it’s 335 electoral votes for Biden. But several BIG states are CLOSE.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

These elections are so close in terms of popular vote, no wonder folks at are at each other's throat. It's so "winner takes all" when the difference between the winners and losers is not much.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Like, in Florida, half the state's voters will feel disenfranchised. It's set. Just a matter to wait and see which half. That's bad.

8. TennTradition

If Trafalgar is right, Trunp will win this again. And it will essentially be because of Michigan.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  9. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Guy that runs Trafalgar has worked on a bunch of GOP campaigns. I know he was right in 2016 but I still take that poll with a grain of salt.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well, this is also a solid way to win close elections:

11. TennTradition

Yeah I hear you. But they also think they are capturing the shy voter effect better than others. With undecideds lower this year, I hope we aren’t seeing a lot of that. But seems like something to keep an eye on.

12. TennTradition

100k Harris county votes would be huge.

I think that margin could easily be as low as 250k votes.

13. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Yeah, and don't forget that the Texas Supreme Court already ruled on curbside voting and allowed it

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

14. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

The shy voter isn't a thing. It never was.

15. TennTradition

Yeah I think most of the error in Michigan and Wisconsin was not capturing non-college-educates white voters well, which most have tried to correct.

Trafalgar still claims the effect is there and Michigan and Wisconsin voters are just straight up lying.

16. Unimane

The thing here, though, is there are two main issues:

1. This assumes the polls are wrong in the same amount despite polling having adjusted for their 2016 mistakes in undercounting non-college educated whites.

2. This also assumes all mistakes will go in favor of Trump.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

How did they determine this?

18. Unimane

This and tons of undecideds going for Trump. I don't think the polling in 2016 was actually that bad, of the decided people. 2012, interestingly enough, had more polling errors in many respects, but it called a smaller win for Obama than occurred. So, it wasn't really noticed.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

It also assumes things aren't different every year in a different way. For all we know, there are all new sources of polling error influencing things in whichever way. These are always to be taken at face value. It's a sampling of demographics representative of the state or nation. A sample. Populations can differ from samples, and the % difference between a win or a loss is tiny. If elections were 60/40 proportions, this would be solid as hell. They aren't.

20. Unimane

They just "believe it", that Trump people are shy to tell anonymous pollsters they are voting for Trump. You know, those Trump people being notoriously shy in supporting their guy.

21. justingroves

justingroves supermod

There's quite a few that begrudgingly voted for him in 2016, they'll do it again in 2020