POLITICS 2020 Election

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by CardinalVol, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I love the guy, and hope he sticks around.

2. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Haha. I bet you do.

JayVols likes this.
  3. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

He and John Kasich can hold their own debates.

Tenacious D likes this.
  4. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I agree completely.

Also, I couldn't resist fyp.

5. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Agree or disagree?

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I think that is pretty high for a Congressional retirement. I understand the President needing a good pension, as we don't want ex-POTUS living in a small home working at Walmart (though, with modern talking circuits, book deals, etc, that may not be necessary any longer).

But some random Congressman that has been in Congress for 20 years?

Eh.

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Who really cares if the President had to work at walmart after office.

Seems a little over the top to me.

8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

You are fully vested at 5 years. How long does it take for teachers and police officers? Teachers in my opinion are a million times more important than politicians.

justingroves, JayVols and NorrisAlan like this.
  9. TennTradition

I’m up for having the discussion by it’s pretty damn stupid for them to frame thisbas a Pelosi thing.

10. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Its not just a Pelosi thing, that was just a Republican using her as an example (of course he was going to use a Dem). Obviously he feels the same way about both sides or he wouldn't be pushing for the bill. Focusing on that is exactly why things always get side tracked.

11. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Seems high. I could understand around 48%-50% pension.

12. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I don't agree with nothing though. Service is service. Congress is bad enough as it is. This would attract even less desirable folks, possibly.

Not every member came to Congress with millions of dollars put in the bank via healthcare fraud like Rick Scott.

zehr27 likes this.
  13. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I agree it should not be nothing but what about a 401k like most Americans (the people they serve)? With a 174K salary I think that would probably be fair. I get what people are saying when they say it may attract less desirable folks but I think I would be willing to roll the dice (imo). Churches have volunteers that serve people and get zero dollars, are those people generally bad people? Some people are just good people that are willing to lead regardless of what they are going to get paid.

IP likes this.
  14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Not sure we need to make them any less likely to get out of office quicker. I'd be more worried about term limits than this stuff.

15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

That is on the table as well with Braun. He is big on that too.

16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Not big on term limits for Congress, as I believe it disenfranchises the Public. Also, I don't want massive turn over every 2-4 years, it would just be chaotic.

17. TennTradition

We all know it’s not a Pelosi thing but I’m suddenly seeing all these we need term limits because of Pelosi memes on Facebook and it’s getting old. Why does a republican need to frame term limits or a reduced pension as needed because of a Democrat speaker?

JayVols likes this.
  18. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

It doesn't need to he just chose her as an example. I know the guy and he has good intention here. I wish he would not even have brought her up because people will focus on that instead of what he is trying to do. Typical.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'd be fine with both of them having 12 year term limits. The public is more disenfrachised by these guys that have turned their office of public service into a career.

20. TennTradition

Well, yes. He is making something partisan that doesn’t need to be. He certainly can’t (or shouldn’t) take issue with someone having an issue with what he said when he presents it the way he did.

JayVols likes this.