2020 recruiting

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by justingroves, Dec 21, 2018.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don't think we've missed on any Memphis guys.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

looks like we may get this La Khari kid who was committed to Les Miles. At first look you assume uh oh. Kid had 6 sacks his jr year so wasn't on the radar as a 6'2 210 lb DE. 27 sacks his sr year and earned an offer at camp, so things aren't always as they seem. Kid had more sacks than #1 rated Grimes had total tackles for the year, playing the same position, vs overall better comp in Baton Rouge

3. Power_T16

Power_T16 Chieftain

Grimes being the number 1 kid in state is still hilarious. Kid is just not good.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The Williamson guy from west Tennessee may end up a blue shirt/PWO due to tearing an ACL.

Odds say one of the three from Whitehaven won't pan out. Eason was a can't miss prospect since middle school, the other two grew into being SEC caliber guys.

Small can be a gadget guy, he's quick as hell but he's just a guy in the SEC. It's worth taking him to secure Thomas, though.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  5. Ssmiff

He was the 5th or 6th best defensive player on his team. Literally averaged less than 2 tackles per game, played almost every snap and didnt go up against many OTs his size, yet if he commited, we would jump in rankings even though he cant play.

Power_T16 likes this.
  6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Miami has made a big push with him at the end and I think they have more tight ends in the NFL than any other school right now.

I think he's signing early and keeping it a secret until whatever all star game he's playing in

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He looks damn good shorts, though.

Bryn Tucker is another guy that took a huge fall down the rankings once they actually watched him play. He's still going to Clemson but he was a borderline 5 star guy that is now like 300 overall.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Chris Morris, but he's had to change high schools and appears to be flipping to Ole Miss.

9. Ssmiff

Wahington has a baby too, so finding a creative way to help financially support that situation is in play. We are losing some of those creative battles.

10. Ssmiff

Hes dropped as much as any player i recall from jr to sr year.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Fulmer needs to chip in, that was one thing he did extremely well.

12. Power_T16

Power_T16 Chieftain

Completely forgot Tucker existed. Surprised he's still a take for Clemson the way they've been recruiting.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Dabo won't cut commits if they don't visit anywhere else.

14. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Not if you think that you can win natty’s with TN recruits, I guess.

Personally, I think that’s not going to come close to happening.

15. Ssmiff

I don't think we can, but we were getting 3 or 4 of the top 20 in the state and that doesn't bode well for longterm relationships and getting the ones that can play. We may end up with 10 of the top 20 this year.

Btw I just watched an 8 minute film of Tee Hodge and I really like this kid. He has surprisingly quick feet and I laugh as on long runs, at times he is putting down 6 steps in 10 yards. Most backs can clear 10 in 4 strides. That may hurt him on really long runs, but his side cuts and feet at the los are impressive to me, as his his little lean with his long torso. Reminds me a little of Maurice Jones Drew.

Tenacious D likes this.
  16. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Tennessee won a national title with a bunch of Tennessee recruits. Obviously, you have to expand the borders beyond the Volunteer state, but we had Al Wilson, Shawn Bryson, Eric Westmoreland, Travis Stephens, Chad Clifton, Jeff Hall, Cedrick Wilson, Jeremaine Copeland, Spencer Riley and others from this state as key contributors to the '98 team.

Hitting up Georgia, though, was huge for that team. It's smart for Pruitt to get into northern Georgia with a strong effort.

chavisut and OneForVol like this.
  17. Ssmiff

JGroves could probably do it, but since Tee Higgins class, it would be interesting to see an allstar list of Tn recruits who went elsewhere. I can think of some LSU kids. Couple of Ga kids but I still don't think Norton will do much. Instate D1 has multiplied recently. Ravenwood has 8 kids who will sign this year or next with Ok, ucla, rice, Duke, Bama, UT etc. I don't know that they've had that many D1 signees total since the school was built.

18. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Instate can be sort of an interesting deal, though. Some kids just want to get away. The midstate is growing, but there are a lot of transplants and allegiances vary. That said, we should get, at least, 5 of the top 10 players in the state if we are doing this right.

Memtownvol and justingroves like this.
  19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Just going by 247's composite

2017 top ten Tennessee recruits

Trey Smith - Great
    Jacoby Stevens - pretty damn good at LSU
    Tee Higgins - great at Clemson
    Jacob Phillips - pretty damn good at LSU
    Ty Chandler - he's been pretty good at Tennessee
    Maliek Gray - bust at Tennessee
    Amari Rodgers - pretty damn good at Clemson
    Cordarrian Richardson - pretty good at UCF
    Obinna Eze - good at Memphis
    Chase Hayden - good when healthy at Arkansas

Cade Mays - 2nd string at UGA
    Jordan Davis - JUCO
    Max Wray - I believe 2nd string at Ohio State
    Alontae Taylor - not too shabby
    Greg Emerson - arguably Tennessee's best dlineman
    Master Teague - 2nd string at Ohio State, pretty damn good
    Brant Lawless - UNC, I don't think he's played
    Camron Johnson - Vanderbilt
    Jaylon King - Georgia Tech, no clue
    Brendon Harris - Vanderbilt

20. Ssmiff

currently looks like we have #1, 4, 5, 8, 9, 10
    #2 is Grimes and we didn't offer a spot
    #3 Hardy committed to us, then bailed the wrong way, now may wait as he wants his ass kissed for another 2 months, or for $ to increase. Don't care anymore.
    #6 is Darrin Turner and an odd deal. Seems from afar he wants to be close. Memphis Central was always a basketball school to me and at least used to be a very solid academic public school in Memphis. He's 6.25 210 4*, but has only visited Arky, and was committed before the coaching change.
    #7 is Bryn Tucker and there are doubts he will ever get PT. He has an extremely soft body and mentally not there to offset it.