2023 Spring Game

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Jan 20, 2023.

1. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Hooker is not a top 5 pick, imo, but neither is Levi's or AR. People are keeping a straight face without trying while talking about those two going that high. Maybe there's a chance. That's not saying Hooker couldn't be the next Brady, but he just doesn't fit that top five pick mold.

2. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

BTW, I give up. I'm not correcting the Levi's to Levis autocorrect anymore, nor am I adding Levi's (told you I'm not correcting it) to my word list. He ain't worth all that special treatment.

Poppa T, Volgrad98, IP and 1 other person like this.
  3. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

5th overall seems a bit high for a career backup.

4. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Hooker’s worst liability outside the obvious ACL setback is already being the same age essentially as guys like Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen. Not that he was ready for the NFL until his middle-ish 20s, but man his age cannot be helping him reach that first round status. Just takes one opinion out of 32 dudes believing in him enough though to take a 1st round swipe on HH.

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

this is dumb thinking to me. not as much regarding HH but in general. The age thing.

IP likes this.
  6. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I hope that sentiment does become a provenly dumb way of thinking about this with regards to HH specifically. Problem is memories of the Brandon Weeden’s of the world potentially makes many GMs leery of using a first round pick on a QB in his mid 20s already. Add in the ACL tear…. Are there any examples I’m missing of teams hitting bank in the first round on QB who was substantially older than the typical 21/22 year old elite 1st round QB prospect coming out?

Nothing would please me more than to see HH become a bonafide NFL superstar. He deserves all the success he will get plus him becoming an NFL star QB makes JH/Tennessee look all the more attractive to elite QB talent down the road.

7. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

He sat for 3 years so it’s different but Aaron Rodgers wasn’t a starter until he was 25. If it were me and I thought he was an NFL starter I’m not sure his age would deter me.

8. JohnnyQuickkick

Drafting Weeden was bad because he sucked, not because he was 25. I realize I’m preaching to the choir

9. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I'm not sure how many mid-20s QBs have been drafted in the NFL, but I feel like the majority of guys that are NFL starter type talent have found their way into the league before they are 25.

10. JohnnyQuickkick

I could be wrong, but without researching I’d say it’s a pretty small sample size of guys being drafted in their mid 20s.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

The majority of 1 seeds don't lose in the second round of the ncaa tournament. A statistic only speaks to probability, not an absolute. Most 25 year olds don't play college ball, to even be having the discussion is to be looking at an outlier.

warhammer likes this.
  12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Nah, I don't agree with this take. Given the potential longevity of quarterbacks, his age is not that big a deal. If someone thinks he can be a starter, he will be drafted.

13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

It's like the stat that most people wreck their cars within a few miles of their home.

HCKevinSteele and IP like this.
  14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Most over the age of 25 played baseball before going to college, I can only think of three off the top of my head, Drew Henson, Weeden and Weinke.

Now, qbs that didn't get a legit shot until 25 is a little different. Steve Young and Aaron Rodgers are the biggest names that pop in my head

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

How old was Kurt Warner when the rams got him?

16. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

A good QB can play until he's like 37 or better. 25 is not a hangup.

17. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Shouldn’t factor at all. Average career of an nfl qb was less than 4.5 years last I recall. There’s also a maturity issue, see Zach Wilson and others, which isn’t a concern, and mid 20s is peak athletic ability combined with knowledge.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

27 or 28

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ans if you are building more than 5 years out, you are already failing.

warhammer likes this.
  20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Seems like that worked out.