2024 Recruiting Class Thread

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by govols182, Oct 16, 2022.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

It’s not like we’ve recruited many highly rated TEs before. They are kindof weird position for most HS players. Fant one of the better ones weve had and he was a 3* WR in HS. Don’t know much about this kid except he didn’t play much until senior year and measured 6’6 with a crazy wingspan.

2. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

It has felt very low intensity

zehr27 likes this.
  3. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Are you under the impression we aren't a second-tier program in the SEC, currently?

4. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

You’re not wrong, but this also screams “struck out on prime targets and took a project because we had extra space on the last day.”

Don’t think we’d have taken the project if we didn’t think we could turn him into an SEC-caliber player, but I also don’t think he was at the top of our list.

5. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I looked back all the way to 2010 on 247. This is our highest rated class by player average in that timeframe.

No, it’s not elite but it is high quality and we hit all our major needs.

6. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

It’s definitely a good class I think there’s just some disappointment that the breakout season last year didn’t pay dividends, and that’s not really an unreasonable feeling. They should have capitalized on it a little more.

7. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

We’re recruiting well enough, in the 10-15 range nationally.

Gotta have a QB (looks like we have one in Nico). Then it’s on player development, roster retention, and in-game coaching.

It may not be a Georgia or Bama class, but there’s enough talent to cement this program’s turnaround.

8. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

It’s also been in the bag a while, mostly, and the last few days have been misses, and people can’t remember anything before yesterday on Twitter

9. HCKevinSteele

That’s a fair point as far as people thinking it “feels quiet”

10. HCKevinSteele

Well enough to do what?

11. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

If you finish 15th nationally you’re probably finishing like 8-10 in the SEC. That isn’t gaining ground on anyone that matters.

12. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Consistently win more than 7-8 games on average. Everybody wants a national title and an SEC championship, yet this program hasn’t demonstrated that it can win 10 games more than once every 20 years.

SetVol13 likes this.
  13. Ssmiff

We have to find the right fits too. Heupel is different and not like a Freeze or Lane who will say anything to a recruit and family, so we will lose battles with kids with handlers who want their asses kissed.

14. Ssmiff

Isn’t it likely though the difference between top 5-15 is 1 or 2 players? And with the portal, it would be interesting to see classes re graded a couple years out.

15. HCKevinSteele

Programs don’t win on their own. Tennessee had no leadership and shitty coaches for 20 years, there’s no legitimate weakness of the program that’s holding it back. The sustained mediocrity is probably a drag on recruiting but that isn’t permanent

16. HCKevinSteele

I think to some extent you have a fair point, but that’s a lot of goodwill to give a coach. Heupel will have to win big again and quickly or nobody will extend it to him.

justingroves likes this.
  17. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

and dormant brands aren’t resurrected overnight. High school seniors grew up on Tennessee as a 5-7 to 7-5 program. Theyre the target audience, and that’s the perception.

It isn’t permanent, but it isn’t instant either. This is what rebuilding looks like.

Memtownvol likes this.
  18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They pretty much had the class full since August, they had to leave some spots for transfers. Tennessee wasn't going after Sensabaugh until about 3 weeks ago, Missouri had been on him a lot longer

19. HCKevinSteele

Eh, I get where you’re coming from and don’t disagree per se, but I’m not sure I buy it. I think we’ve seen enough to know that barring a big change or hiring big time recruiters, Heupel is probably not going to reach elite level on recruiting. Doesn’t mean he’s bad at it, just not really who he is. That’s ok. But if that’s what you’ve got then you’re never going to get there with a guy like Banks as your DC.

A-Smith likes this.
  20. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

This is my other problem with the Twitter meltdown. People act like there’s 50 roster spots