2024 Recruiting Class Thread

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by govols182, Oct 16, 2022.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I disagree that a kid from LSU, Ga, Fl, is as easy to pull into UT as it is the home school. Disagree 100%. If it’s not a factor, where are all the Louisiana kids going? We get 1 every few years.

10SEvols and IP like this.
  2. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Right. We're ranked 13th.

C- not an F

3. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

Where did all of Tennessee’s stars come from in the 80’s and 90’s? They weren’t all from Tennessee. Louisiana or Florida is a different ballgame. I’m really talking about the area inside if you drew a line from Memphis to Clarksdale to Birmingham to Atlanta to Greeneville SC to Greensboro to Nashville.

4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Meh

5. HCKevinSteele

But also I wouldn’t argue it is “as easy”, simply that it’s not as hard as many make it out to be.

6. Ssmiff

can’t compare recruiting back then to now. Just saying it obviously plays a role or we wouldn’t have so few coming from Tx, La, Fl, Ohio, etc every year.

IP likes this.
  7. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Winning, track record of developing for selection by NFL, money and to some extent, the perception of coach are at the top of the Pro/Con list that drives the selection process for the high star student and parent.

Yes, geographic or "comfort; fit; legacy; facilities and other emotional factors are on the Pro/Con list. But those are not at the top for most 5* players who see NFL as their career.

Every kid/parent have weighting factors that are different. The good recruiter figures out what that is and hopefully the school checks that box.

8. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

What is interesting is that 5 star recruits have about a 60% chance of being drafted into the NFL. 4 star recruits have about a 5% chance. Odds are, they ought to be preparing for something other than playing professionally.

10SEvols likes this.
  10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It pisses me off too when people claim Tennessee can't recruit.

HCKevinSteele likes this.
  11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Tennessee’s starting running back next year is from Louisiana

SetVol13 likes this.
  12. JohnnyQuickkick

The media types definitely overstate how hard it is. That being said there’s just some powerhouses in the SEC

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The only time Tennessee hasn't recruited well is when there's a dipshit in charge of the program

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Tennessee is one of them when there's non dipshits in charge

15. Ssmiff

thats 1 player from a state which puts out a ton of talent

16. JohnnyQuickkick

It’s also not the same as it was 20 years ago, we don’t have dipshits in charge now but there’s a lot of ground to make up.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yeah, it isn't going to be fixed quickly

HCKevinSteele likes this.
  18. HCKevinSteele

I’m perfectly willing to believe that Heupel is more focused on genuine relationship building and getting high character guys that will stay 3 to 5 years. And if everyone in this class stays maybe it’s looked back on as a top 5 class.

That being said, the programs Tennessee needs to match or out recruit are Georgia, Texas, Alabama, Ohio State, Miami, Oklahoma, Auburn, Notre Dame, Oregon, FSU, Clemson, Michigan, LSU, USC, Penn State, Florida and Texas A&M.

If I look at rivals right now Tennessee is 13th out of 17 on that list. And if not for instability at Florida and A&M they’d likely be lower than that.

I understand things were bad for 15 years and it’s a rebuild. And I appreciate that Heupel being a great QB developer flattens the curve to some extent. But I don’t think it’s terribly unfair to say that it’s not what you’d hope for after the magical season last year. And none of this is to say I doubt Heupel. Maybe Nico is the stud we think he might be and they feel in top 5 classes the next couple of years. I just know the SEC is brutal and if you have a roster made up of 4 classes just like this one that probably isn’t going to get Tennessee to the place everyone wants them to be.

10SEvols likes this.
  19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

And Tennessee has always snagged one or two from there. They've never recruited Louisiana hard, they've consistently recruited Georgia, Virginia, the Carolinas and Florida. They might grab one or two from Ohio. That's how Tennessee has always recruited

20. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Some odd drama with Jordan Seaton, the 5-star OT recruit we thought we had a couple of weeks ago who ended up committing to Colorado. It looks like he's not going to sign with Colorado after all (or maybe he is) and is possibly down to Maryland and...............Tennessee.

TDVol1989 likes this.