23-24 Season

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Unimane, Jul 2, 2023.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I’m not going to pretend I’m watching the game, but 5 total fouls? That seems unreasonably low. Is that the least number of fouls committed in a Tournament game this year? When’s the last time a team had less in a tournament game?

Edit: was 5 at the 2:20 mark. Got up to 6 by the end. Doesn’t really change the point.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2024
  2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well, at least I got the jmu upset right

4. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Maybe I am misremembering? But I thought 2019 started the decline.

I distinctly remember thinking that year that the blue bloods were all overrated as hell. Then being mad because I knew two of the blue bloods and Gonzaga would get 1s over us despite our resume being as good or better than all of them (just three of our losses happened to good teams at the end of the season so it really hurt our ranking).

And also it being the most meh National Championship matchup I could remember but still wanting Texas Tech to win because [uck fay] Virginia

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Got GCU at least.

emainvol likes this.
  6. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

I don’t get where this is coming from at all. I mean sure there’s no possible way to know how a different draw would have played out, but if their 1st round draft pick doesn’t tear his ACL right before Final 4 that team wins the championship.

7. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

If an 80% FT shooter for New Mexico State doesn’t miss 2 at the buzzer, that Final Four turns into a first round exit.

What If Street runs two ways.

8. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

Perfectly fair, but plenty of champions have had close calls with mediocre teams. Let’s just instead evaluate the original take that Pearl “Shaka’d the perfect draw that year”, which to me is just saying it was all luck of the draw.

Which if you watched that team at all in March you’d know is just absolutely hysterical. It took that team a long time to hit their stride but once they did they were a damn buzzsaw.

And beyond that the notion that it was an easy draw is a little dubious as well.

9. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Looking at some of the advanced stats, and Texas are moderately better shooters across the board. Everywhere else, we’re either noticeably better or roughly even. They even foul as much as we do!

There’s no real aspect that I look at and say “this is what gets us beat.” Just a matter of bringing our A game. Which I think we’ve only done once in the second round under Barnes (last year), so I’m pretty dang nervous.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Turned shuffle on at gym. Heard cherrie pie. We got this.

IYKYK

11. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

Feel Michigan St is beating UNC today. MSU trending up and Izzo vs Hubert Davis? Feels like classic Izzo in March time.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

That would truly be March Madness.

13. JohnnyQuickkick

Stranger things have happened.

14. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I just want the win. I think we should, but Texas is just talented enough to cause concern. Lots of athleticism, but just haven't put it together very often. I would hate for this to be one of those days.

Tar Volon and IP like this.
  15. IP

IP Super Moderator

It would be the best win of their season.

16. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

Dayton didn’t hear no bell!

17. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Feel very similar to the Michigan game in 2022, except I don’t think they have a Dickinson.

18. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Disu is good but we have a lot of experience playing him between his Vandy days, and playing Texas in Knoxville last year.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Wait, the guy at Kansas is the guy that was at Michigan?!

20. JohnnyQuickkick

Where you been

Indy likes this.