23-24 Season

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Unimane, Jul 2, 2023.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

2. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

These droughts happen regardless of the players on the team. The only thing as constant as the droughts is the Round of 32 exit. I would love to get past that, but we just can't seem to.

3. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

In fairness we did literally last year. But we always seem to exit against a team that's worse than us.

4. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Yeah. I worry about the scoring droughts. That seems to be the one frustrating consistent from year-to-year.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

His scoring has been much more 3-pointer reliant in this tournament. He was scoring more previously while shooting worse from 3.

He looked like the answer to our offensive droughts prior to this tournament because he was the type of player who could go get a bucket when you need it. But against better, more athletic competition, his scoring hasn’t come as easily.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

I think it’s a bit of both tbh

7. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I wonder if the physicality and effort on the defensive end is affecting offense, if even only in the mentality. I’m not sure Barnes has ever been an offensive guru, either. This team has the parts, but hasn’t once yet looked the part.

A-Smith likes this.
  8. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

We’re a brick machine

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

22-70 from the field. Jesus.

10. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

The only positive is even shooting ~30% these last two games we were never out of the game. If we can just not do that, or just not do it as much we can beat anyone.

11. Tar Volon

That's part of the gut worry. If we're putting so much into the defense that we just don't have the energy or mental intensity to play like we need to on offense. I don't know. But we've had a lot of good shooters stop shooting well when the lights get bright.

12. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I’ve always wondered whether he runs them too hard during the season

Tar Volon likes this.
  13. Tar Volon

Played two likely one-seeds and were tied with both in the last ten minutes of the game. We're not that far away, but the problems being the exact same ones that killed us the last few years is discouraging.

14. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

9-33 from 3. Go to the basket.

15. JohnnyQuickkick

16. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Not the easiest thing in the world to do when you’re facing an all world big man for the second night in a row.

17. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Barnes’ teams trend remarkably consistent, which is good coaching. But, the defects are consistent, too. I’m inclined to think the same problems affecting us now are going to be similar to the ones we face in March.

18. Tar Volon

We also missed a lot of good looks at the basket.

19. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

2 things that really stand out so far when playing good competition. 1st we out foul our opponent by quite a bit. Next we get out rebounded badly. Both need addressed or it's going to be tough to make a march run.

20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

This team will find an offensive identity and start hitting shots or they will be about a 4 or 5 seed with no prayer at a Final Four. It’s that simple.

VOLinDAWGland likes this.