266th Pontiff

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by OrangeEmpire, Mar 13, 2013.

Tags:
  1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

No. I'm Jesuit = evangelical micromanaging disciplinarian kind of guy. Because that is what they are, and have always been.

2. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Ive never really heard of this. I know people refer to them as Gods Marines.

Personal interaction with them?

3. fl0at_

Some. Enough to not want more.

They carry a kind of mysticism around with them, in other people's eyes, because they have a rep, and nobody bothers finding out what that rep really is; a lot is US Catholics aren't big on evangelicalism. Missionary work is one thing, doing it with intent to convert is another.

4. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Forgive me, Im still trying to figure this out. So the negative is conversion?

Or this whole mysticism secret stuff like Jesuits sunk the Titanic kind of creepy stuff?

*Great conspiracy by the way.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

The jesuits sunk the titanic?

Float, i admittedly don't know much about the different braves of catholicism. Couple of questions.

1. Why is evangelism bad to us catholics?
    2. What are the Pauline catholics?

6. fl0at_

It is antiquated. How often does your church or parish send missionaries out to convert the masses? Ever?

The church in the modern day, in the US, does extraordinariy little convert work. They do missionary work, with the goal to help and provide service, but bible thumping is just not done.

7. fl0at_

One of their negatives is the conversion work. The others are their very conservative stance on most issues, and disciplinarian approach to everything.

By mysticism, I don't mean secret orders, chants and the like, I mean that people don't understand them.

8. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I'm not Catholic, but I'd say that my church sends out missionaries to help and provide service for sure, but always with an aim towards conversion. It may not be "bible-thumping" as you call it, but conversion is the ultimate hope.

9. CardinalVol

Our church funds quite a few missionaries who focus solely on evangelism. Poland, new York, couple of other areas. There are other things they do there, but evangelism and disciple training are three main goal.

10. fl0at_

That would make your church the second in the US that I've heard of that has that goal.

Ours doesn't even take up collection for anything of that nature, finding that there is a lot more that can be done here, and now.

11. fl0at_

That is one of the main goals of Protestant churches, in my experience. And something that always set Cathoic churches that I've been around apart.

12. CardinalVol

I think we need to clear up i an protestant, not catholic.

13. JohnnyQuickkick

wow this blows my mind

EDIT misunderstanding cleared up now

14. JohnnyQuickkick

Ah OK I'm with you now

15. fl0at_

I thought you were Catholic. Oh well.

Then I can subtract that, and say, that I have only heard of one Catholic Church that took any hard core initiative to convert. And it left those at mass a little uneasy.

That isn't typical. At least not as forward as it was presented. Everyone knows people take mission trips. Very few openly acknowledge that the primary purpose is conversion.

It just isn't common in everyday Catholicism, and is left to various sects.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

There is a dark side to evangelism. Loss of culture, language, way of life, introduction of disease, etc.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I went to a Jesuit school and they are unquestionably the smartest order by a large margin. They teach you to think. Teach you why the bible might not be the direct word of god. Teach you to be critical. Now they are arrogant sons of *****es, but in my experience they are certainly not asking for blind obedience. Some of the smartest atheists you'll ever meet come out of jesuit schools schools. Ask the Franciscans or the Nuns and they'll tell you the Jesuits are too modern and teach people to rebel against the church. Jesuits make them uncomfortable and that's a good thing IMO. My wife taught at a school ran by the nuns and I saw a level of religious nutjobery I never experienced at a Jesuit school. Jesuits want you to convert because they beat you with logic. The others do it by fear or blind faith. My .10 c

18. PoochPunt3rdDown

PoochPunt3rdDown Troll Guru

Interesting stuff, Dr. Oski.

19. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Hmm...don't know what Pauline catholics are....Paulists I know.

20. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Two of the parishes in Knoxville --including the one on UT's campus -- are Paulist I think.