6-7 years, that's how long

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Volgrad98, Nov 5, 2015.

1. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Let's be clear - the offensive coaching is as bad as it can possibly be.

2. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

It speaks to the talent that the scheme is so bad and they are 2nd in the league in rushing. I wonder what Hurd's numbers would be if he wasn't having to break 3 tackles behind the line?

3. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

Great rushing, but if we had downfield passing accuracy, holy hell, they'd be averaging 500+ yards offense easily.

4. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Margaret Thatcher, too

5. juicemane

juicemane Member

Maybe you're right. I'm not familiar enough with all the other teams to definitively say they are LITERALLY the worst offensive coaches.

I do know that statistically, the offense isn't terrible. Pretty good actually. Maybe that is all on the players.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

When Hurd gets a five yard gain after getting hit twice in the back field, it is all player. And our stats are skewed by what we do against KY and Bowling Green. Our offense has gone completely to doo-doo the last 3 weeks.

7. juicemane

juicemane Member

Everyone plays teams like KY and bowling green. Why does that argument only apply to us?

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The fact that they are statistically good, yet frequently 100% absent on the field is more of an indictment of the playcalling than anything.
    The run game design is very dumb, in my opinion.

If Dobbs has improved in his time here, it's been as minimal as could possibly happen for a guy that's started games all three years. If he just can't be taught, why ask him to throw deep outs so frequently? That's a throw some NFLers have problems executing.

Wide receivers are another group that seem unable to shine despite numerous highly rated guys.

OL seems to be a tad better now that DeBord is here. Still seem to struggle to figure out which five guys need to be out there, despite it being pretty obvious to most viewers.

9. NorrisAlan

Fair point.

But the application to our offense is because any offense can score 50 on those teams, as long as you have the talent we have. We have our breakdowns against competent defenses that have a breathing DC. I would say the variance between our great games and our awful games is too high to say we have a pretty good offense.

10. juicemane

juicemane Member

I think Dobbs' accuracy issues box us in more than anything else.

I would love to see a different run scheme with a back like Hurd, but the run scheme is what is it with butch.

And we are 2nd in the league in rushing, it can't be the worst thing in the world.

11. juicemane

juicemane Member

I just think you are probably judging UT by a different standard than any other team. Any team is going to struggle to move the ball more so against good teams compared to weak teams.

12. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Hurd gets more lateral runs than dive plays. Kamara gets more dive plays than Hurd. Kamara has been the guy in from 10 and in from a lot of the games I've seen. Coaches continually have Dobbs throw wide when his strength is the middle of the field. In fact, I don't believe Dobbs has attempted more than 20 passes over the middle.

All of that is unforgivably stupid.

13. NorrisAlan

We are #1 in rush attempts (512), #5 in yards per rush (4.6/rush). We are 59 in the country in yds/rush.

It is too easy to shut it down once you realize that if Hurd is to the right of Dobbs, he is running left. Every. Single. Time.

EDIT:

And to be fair, I do judge my school by a different gauge than other schools. It is my school. And like my children, I want them to be held to higher standards. Unfair, perhaps, but the way it is.

14. juicemane

juicemane Member

I agree they somehow seem to confuse Hurd's skill set with Kamara's and vice versa.

The maddest I've been maybe all season was when we were 3rd and goal from the 1 on the first drive of the OU game, and they bring in Kamara to run a dive. I couldn't believe it.

15. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

I am.

16. NorrisAlan

Come on, Hurd was tired. From that 20 yard run. Three plays and a timeout earlier. And the game was also 5 minutes old. Dude was completely gassed.

17. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

I'm a broken record when it comes to this but if our offense is going to basically announce "Hey Hurd is running to this side", get him a GD LEAD BLOCKER!

18. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

from a skill position talent perspective, we have as good of a group as anyone in the country. The number of rushes is driven by our idiotic passing game that actually exacerbates Dobbs' issues. Most of our passes are essentially runs too.

The run game gets worse, the longer we go in games because defenses finally begin to believe that we're running exactly where they think and they quit hedging. The playcalling, after the script goes indescribably predictable and conservative. What we've seen of offensive ineptitude as the game progresses isn't just a trend, it's the truth. We have no idea what to call and strategically we're utterly idiotic. Instead of using the two headed monster as a battering ram to pound on defenses and get better late, we run laterally and throw a bunch of flares. I guess we're trying to wear down the DBs, who aren't necessary late because we aren't going to throw downfield to test them anyway.

The entire offensive design is stupid as hell. It was stupider last year when the hard headed moron kept playing Worley, even though the QB run was the only defense for the runners. This year, we have clearly bridled Dobbs at times, and that's utterly senseless because it's like having a worse passing Worley trying to run the offense.

Finally, I'm an Army fan and it's a statistically good rushing team traditionally. Wonder if that means the offensive coaching is great?

19. NorrisAlan

We are also are 9th in passing in the league, 11th in yards/pass and attempts.

8th in the SEC and 93rd in the country in red zone efficiency (and I think this is where a lot of our problems lie).

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

We have to be near the top in number of rushes attempted. And a lot of that is benefited by Josh Dobbs scrambling out of broken plays. When it gets to crunch time and we need one yard, we may be second in the league in rushing, but there are probably six or seven teams I'd rather have trying to pick up that one yard on the ground.