"95% chance Butch is fired..."

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NEW COACH, Sep 27, 2017.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Currie worked at Tennessee for a long time before going to Kansas State

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

My general take from what I've been told about Currie is that there is one person who knows Butch's fate right now - Currie.

Few key things to remember about Currie -

1. Success to him is winning
    2. Appearance matters a whole, whole lot.
    3. He's very methodicial and rational

Unless Saturday is an all out embarrasment, I don't expect Butch fired. But, if we get pounded and the entire lower bowl is UGA fans at the end of the game.....all bets are off.

3. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

No idea.

But, were I Currie, had worked at UTAD for 10+ years in the recent past, and saw what happened in the Dooley hire....and what that lead to for Hammy...I can't fathom that he'd taken the gig without positive and concrete assurances that he would have the autonomy and resources to hire his guy, when the time came, and from all involved. And by "all involved", I mean "ALL involved".

And if he didn't get those clear and firm assurances, or he's unwilling to insist on them if anyone tries to meddle with them - then he's too stupid, weak or both, to be here. I don't know the guy, what he has, will or is capable of doing in any given situation, but my blind-assed guess is that he:

1. Is, as Card says, too methodical and detail-oriented to not have covered this before he took the gig, and

2. strikes me as a person who is quick to and delights in both calling out bullshit, and telling people to get ****ed.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I honestly believe the trashcan pissed Currie off nearly as much as the performance against Georgia Tech

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm not a prim person. It was embarrassing. Any number of containers would have been better.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

It was the fact it was front and center that was the problem

7. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

Andy Staples said he believes if Texas A&M loses this week he expects Sumlin to be fired.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

My guess is they have a laser focus on Petrino right now. Like, fire Sumlin Saturday, hire him Monday.

And since I want nothing to do with Petrino, I'm fine with it.

9. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

If they lose to USCe it would be criminal not to fire him

10. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Works for me!

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That makes way too much sense, though.

If Malzahn stumbles, I could see Auburn going after him too.

12. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I think aTm has their eyes on much better coaches than Petrino, and without his baggage.

Both Auburn and aTm will be fishing in the same pond as Tennessee, IMO, and just as Notre Dame may also and soon be, as well. JMHO.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

agreed. they are going to try to throw $6 mil at someone. kelly wouldn't be caught dead there, so there is that.

14. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Thanks, I guess that gives me some hope. And to Card's 1 and 2, butch is fcuked!

15. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I'm not sure it matters too much who has an opening first as long as Tennessee is one of the earlier ones to come open. These guys like Chip Kelly have a good idea of what jobs will be open even if they have to wait a few extra weeks to decide. I'm sure it's easy to have back channel conversations if needed. It reminds me of how NFL free agents/teams aren't allowed to negotiate until a said day yet free agent signs 5 minutes after midnight.

16. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I think their focus is on another person but I would be really good with this and could see it.

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And Petrino could justify pulling a Falcons again by citing the current issues in Louisville.

18. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

That’s why this should have been done last year. I fully expect those teams to conduct better searches and end up with a better coach.

19. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Although to be fair, we would have had some tough competition last year, too. I’m not sure who we would have targeted.

20. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Who do you think they would go after?