"A date which will live in infamy."

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by rbroyles, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Yeah, the Stuart's were like Brewster Buffaloes... Way outdated even before the war started in '39...

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Are we including suicides and everything into that

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

400,000 US casualties in WW2. Over 400,000 firearms deaths in the US between 2001 and 2013 according to the CDC.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes, everything. Suicides, gang stuff, police shooting bad guys, mass shootings, hunting accidents, accidental discharge, and plain-jane murders. All fatal firearm casualties in the US.

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I was just thinking homicide.

Our casualties are low compared to Russia and China but still a large number.

6. Savage Orange

Atta way to compare apples to chainsaws... Good work.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Russia's are mind-boggling.

US Civil War estimates seem to range between 600,000 and 850,000 or so.

I don't think we could stomach a war with 6 figure US death tolls in our current live media culture.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Go look at the Russian, German, and Chinese casualties numbers. Or control for army size on some of the other countries. We whipped ass.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Poland lost 17 % of their total population during the war. If that were the US at that time, that would be 22.25 million people. How's that for apples to apples?

10. Savage Orange

More folks died in two hours on Omaha beach than the entire Gulf war total over five years. Maybe it's been surpassed now but the collective stomach to fight wars the way our grandparents did it doesn't exist any more. That's why these entanglements we get ourselves involved in last so long. If we went in, cleaned house Curtis LeMay style and left we probably could have settled the Gulf up in three weeks.

11. Savage Orange

You originally compared WW2 deaths to gun violence in America. That's apples to chainsaws.

12. Savage Orange

What's particularly galling about the Civil War is that most of those deaths could have easily been prevented with modern medical knowledge.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

It shows that the number of US WW2 casualties wasn't as extreme as one would often think.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Or with cooler heads.

15. Savage Orange

Compared to other major combatants, it wasn't. The Soviets and Chinese got the worst of it, along with the Holocaust victims...

16. Savage Orange

Or that. While I don't buy the "it was all about slavery" angle, it was a touchstone issue that would have fixed itself by the 1880's as mechanization of American farming was starting to come into its own. I would argue that resentments caused by reconstruction caused way more problems and added decades to hardcore racial division than the war itself ever solved.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, I'm sure southerners would have made sure to set those former slaves up with quality ways to make a living as they were replaced with cheaper mechanization. It was the reconstruction that caused racial division... Pff.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, I'm sure southerners would have made sure to set those former slaves up with quality ways to make a living as they were replaced with cheaper mechanization. It was the reconstruction that caused racial division... Pff.

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The difference being they had little option. They were fighting in the homelands. And totally out matched with in battle field technology

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

For sure. Also, they were being pushed to the German line at gun point by their own countrymen. There were times where they issued only 1 rifle per pair of men, with the intention that when the first was killed the second could pick it up.