Alright, seriously now, predictions for the next 4 years

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by emainvol, Nov 7, 2012.

1. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

There is a fairly strong contingent of economically savvy conservatives on this board, although this question is not necessarily directed at them. Does anybody really think we are doomed or are we going to see a President that got the kick in the ass he needed and start working towards good and effective changes in this country? Further, is the rhetorical shitstorm that seems to have finally reached Category 5 going to eat this country alive?

Further, what the hell is up with the sudden libertarianish social swing in this country. Lesbian senator, gay marriage all over the place, and legal pot?

Finally, and concerning the legal pot, how genius was Peyton Manning for acquiring all of those Papa Johns franchises, and will IP now post exclusively in Grateful Dead lyrics?

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I for one support our new master and overlord.

Predictions:
    Dooley, gone.
    We'll play for the East once.
    Republicans gonna Republican.

Obama tries to build a legacy. That means he is going to push through more "jobs" bills, and more and stranger tax law. In the end, it will hurt many of those self identified as the "middle class." But it won't be the end of the world. Also, one more uber liberal judge appointment, at least. Which could flip the court in less than a decade.

It will be the end of me going out on random range trips, because I won't be able to find any damned ammo.

3. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I know that the last part is partly in jest, but don't gun control groups consistently give Obama low marks?

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

All non-Muslims taken as slaves in the Arab Spring in America led by Obama in 2015. Some will be sold to China to pay off our national debt and we will be experimented on and turned into soylent green.

That or I have no clue until I see if the house and President actually decide to try to find some common ground.

One or the other, IMO.

Either way, tax rates are going up across the board.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I seriously think obama will tax the crap out of the rich because that is his agenda. We'll be spending decades trying to unwind all the social bs he will push through. As for the economy, it will likely recover even with obama's anti business slant, because well, we are america and it always recovers, and we will be subject to a bunch more idiots suggesting that raising taxes on the rich actually helps the economy because of this next 4 years and clinton. serenity now!!!

6. fl0at_

Yea, but oddly enough, Federally, under Obama, we've had:

1. Reversal of ban of firearms in Federal parks.
    2. Attempt at a Federal handgun carry permit (the far far right argued against this... stating that that was actually the 2nd Amendment... and it got shot down)
    3. No new bans on "hi capacity" magazines, even after Arizona and Colorado (expect it?)
    4. No new bans or reclassifications on "assault rifles"

And at the state level, firearms restrictions for licensed carriers has decreased* even more. So "policy" is obviously not trickling down. Mainly because states tend to be a little more red.

The negatives were:
    1. The military brass ban, which limited the amount of excess brass
    2. Government orders through Winchester. (Too damned hard to get friggen Winchester ammo now)

But with the withdrawal from Iraq and Afghanistan, and the decrease in usage of military ammo, we should start seeing a surplus of 9mm and 5.56 soon. The problem is that the necks go out and buy it all for when "dey tuk our guns!"

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  7. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

What most impressed me last night was John Boehner and Mitch McConnell immediately coming out and saying, "alright, we lost. There is nothing we can do about this, so let's get some shit done." It may have been bullshit, but it's more promising than anything I have heard from either side in a while. I think an unforeseen, but welcome, side effect from all of this is that it may just wake everyone up to some extent. No one has to worry about reelecting or beating Obama now. It's time to put the petty differences aside. America tried to get rid of some whackjobs in Congress last night, so obviously they are fed up with some of the ridiculous Nazi rhetoric that is going around. Perhaps this will be a unifying moment, once everyone gets over the initial shock of winning/losing.

8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Tax the rich for taking advantage of capitalism.

9. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I was making sure I wasn't just being an asshole every time I called someone an idiot for saying Obama was coming for their guns.

10. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

We could impose a stupid tax on Donald Trump, that would certainly be a start.

11. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

The populace is slowly pulling its head out of its collective ass and realizing that minding one's own [dadgum] business is a good way to live.

12. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I know you're joking, but I seriously don't understand why Obama is doing this.

And, as a middle classer, I'm boned. According to fl0at.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Most of the country is this way. They just don't vote in general.

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I will believe it when I see it.

I honestly hope they do. There's a lot of crap about to hit the fan in the very near future that needs to be dealt with. I hope both sides are willing to recognize and realize that and meet somewhere in the middle.

15. fl0at_

There are always little things that "scare" gun rights people. And Obama is feared as being one that would "do" some of those things.

The hi-cap mag ban, where proof of being grandfathered in is on the individual, has been floated around the 2A world.

If so, all of my mags for all but two of my handguns become immediately worthless. Which means I'll just have to get someone to, I guess, sign an affidavit stating that I had the mags prior to the ban. And then I should be covered.

So we'll see. We'll give something up, probably. Just not sure what, yet.

16. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I don't pretend to understand it either. That said, I think a Republican controlled house is enough to at least get some compromise worked out. The populace wants something done, now. They have, surprisingly if you ask me, given Obama four more years to do it. They are going to start to hold Congress accountable for things now, because what is done is done in the executive office. There is little choice but to start finding some kind of common ground.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

frankly i put the "obama is going to take our guns" people with the "romney is going to outlaw birth control" people.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

[​IMG]

19. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Today looks the same as the previous 3.8 years. Don't see any reason it will change.

20. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

For obvious reasons, to me this was a great thing to see. I think we've all realized that society has been evolving, and it was good to finally see it at the polls. What a turnaround from that feces amendment that passed in NC last year.