Alternate History: WWI

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Dick Huffman, Apr 2, 2014.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Clear answer is Zombies.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I always thought it came from being out in the cold

3. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Why are people so much more fascinated with WWII than WWI?

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

more interesting cast of characters IMO

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Holocaust was pretty rough, too. Plus, I think the majority of adults are more likely to have grown up knowing a WWII vet.

6. kidbourbon

Europe in 1919 would have been a great place for a single man.

7. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

There is a huge lack of WW1 representation in DC.

Like, almost completely absent.

8. kidbourbon

I don't think the last part is a factor. See Civil War.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That's a fairly unique one. I don't think WWI is any less an active topic than any other American war.

10. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

Probably due to the much larger part America played in it.

11. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

WWII: a battle of good vs. evil, is a lot easier to glorify than WWI: the easily avoidable raping of the human-race.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

WWI was the first war in which aircraft, mechanized infantry, machine guns, and long range bombing/artillery entered into use by multiple sides. WWII was the war in which they were perfected.

Also, WWI had political complexity. WWII (as it is often thought of) did not (even though it actually did).

Btw, I have an English friend that is terribly insulted by any credit being given to either the US or the Soviets. She feels Britain was the hero of the day. when I point out that the Soviets were actually the allies who contributed the most men, casualties, and inflicted the most casualties, she is irate.

13. syndicate

syndicate Well-Known Member

I find it crazy that this is the 100 year anniversary of the beginning of WWI.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I guess you could argue that by not surrendering they made the eventual invasion of france possible.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

They also kept German Navy away from the US coast. We'd have a hard time defending that long of a coastline.

16. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

The United States and USSR won WWII. All France and GB did was survive.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

France didn't survive, they capitulated. The French Resistance was tiny.

18. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

The North African campaign, Greece, and the simple need to assign divisions to the Atlantic coast siphoned off a hell of a lot of manpower that could've been used for Barbarossa. I would say that Britain "surviving" had a hell of a lot to do with the Allied victory.

19. kidbourbon

What would Germany have wanted attacking the US coastline. They had no beef with us other than the fact that we were sending massive amounts of people to Europe to prevent them from kicking the asses of our old homies the brits.

I'll admit I know very little WWI history, but I don't believe myself to be wrong on that point.

20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That would be one long ass supply chain, and every man and woman here would be armed resistance.