Alternate History: WWI

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Dick Huffman, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

What happens to Europe and the Middle East if the USA doesn't break the stalemate in 1917?

2. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

Still unlikely the Germans win, with Petain replacing Nivelle, and Haig learning from his mistakes at the Somme. The Entente had all the time in the world, and seemingly limitless numbers of colonial troops at their disposal, while Germany didn't.

The Americans hastened the end, but in the grand scheme, the German withdrawal to the Hindenburg line, and the allies proceeding with relative caution instead of being slaughtered and vulnerable to a counterattack, pretty much sealed the eventual end.

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

The influenza pandemic of 1918 wipes them out anyway.

4. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

How much of a role (if any) did Jewish dissension in Germany play into their collapse in 1918?

5. Joseph Brant

From what I gather the Jewish dissension was no more, perhaps less, than other ethnic groups in Germany, but that topic is admittedly out of my wheelhouse.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

[penis], that dissension wasn't much of a factor at all despite some revisionist history in Germany to the contrary.

7. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Possibly no pandemic without American involvement in WWI.

8. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

It was a very real issue in 1920s Germany. To what extent it actually factored in I do not know but it was too much of a political issue to just tie it into revisionism.

9. Joseph Brant

I think it became an issue because someone needed to be blamed for the defeat and therefore the punishment meted out at Versailles. The Jews were convenient.

10. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Yes.

There were several groups that could have gotten the blame but pointing the finger at someone within the "Aryan race" would fall outside the rules of fascism.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

That is exactly what sort of revision I meant.

12. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Aha! I'm sorry. I was assuming that you were meaning the revision was being made in the present.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, 1920's-1940's.

14. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Epicenter varies between us, France and China.

I think it hits regardless of our involvement.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Thought it originated in Spain.

16. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

According to The Great Influenza, a fantastic book on the topic, the center of the flu is in Kansas and the disease spread by American soldiers. I've also heard the Chinese worker theory.

17. Joseph Brant

On the topic (sort of) I recommend The Guns of August, its an era without a ton of reading material on it, and its extremely detailed, while also being very readable. A fascinating time period.

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

No, that was just the name given to the virus because of the attention that it got when the virus spread to Spain. It was a H1N1 virus that most likely came from China, and then mutated here.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Could have, but if you look back at historic epidemiology you'll find all sorts of definitive studies that pinpoint origins, but then another study just as adamantly confirms something totally different.

20. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Pharmaceutical companies manipulating study to make money, imo.