Anti-LGBT/Religious Freedom Laws

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tar Volon, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Fair enough. And maybe I wasn't charitable in my interpretation. That said, I do want to emphasize that we shouldn't just shit on the people who aren't able to care for a child and are totally overwhelmed, just saying "well, they made a dumb choice, sucks for them." Maybe they did make bad decisions, maybe they didn't, but if you're dealing with an unplanned pregnancy and don't have the resources to handle it, you're in a tough spot, and I want to be sensitive to that in our political discourse. I don't think abortion is the answer, but "what do you do in that situation?" is a fair question.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

OK, I do not know the scientific nomenclature, but I would assume conjoined twins (even the two girls that have a torso, but share a pair of legs) would be more like two fully functioning brains where as a parasitic twin is more often either internal or doesn't develop at all (like the mole thing or people that have a tumor removed only to find out it was a parasitic twin).

I think that what often happens in talks like these, many people (I am as guilty as anyone) have a tendency to run to the extremes (8 month abortions, parasitic twins, harlequin babies, etc) to defend our positions, when I think the best position is somewhere in the middle.

3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Depends on what the meaning of the word "is" is.

4. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

[​IMG]

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Parasitic means one is nonviable on it's own. My understanding is that it is possible to be a parasitic twin and still have a functioning brain (though not common at all, as you rightly point out).

Kuato from Total Recall, for effect:
    [​IMG]

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Let's figure out a working definition together. I would think it definitely involves genitals, and definitely more than 1 person. So how do we confine it from there (assuming you agree on the definites)?

7. NorrisAlan

Physical stimulation of one person by one or more other persons with the intent to induce orgasm.

8. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Good entry, Norris.

9. NorrisAlan

[​IMG]

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

So what do you call coitus several years into marriage?

11. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

When you abort it.

12. NorrisAlan

Uh, sex? Making love? Hunka chunka? Saturday night after the kids go to bed?

13. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Bullshit

14. Tenacious D

Consciousness cannot be the standard, IP. It's (conveniently, for pro-abortionists) the one thing that a fetus lacks, but just doesn't work to explain what is or is not alive.

If I knock my wife out, can I then stangle and kill her while she is unconscious, and with impunity?

Do people who are comatose continue to have a right to life?

15. Tenacious D

And?

Right now, leatherback turtle eggs have more protection in the US than unborn human babies.

Can we at least give humans and turtles the same protections? That's all i'm asking.

16. Tenacious D

I think our entire focus on the debate is wrong. The problem has thus far been approached toward to possible solutions, each mutually exclusive of one another - to abort the baby, or to allow the baby to live.

IP and all pro-abortionists seem to think that it's just a bunch of parasitic tissue, and not at all human, until it is delivered and gains consciousness. The pro-lifers say that it is a living human from the start, and hence, deserving of immediate and full protection.

I think there is a third option that will suit all sides: Let's simply monitor the parasitic mass / baby, until we either know for sure as to which it is, or science can come up with both the means to correlate how consciousness predicates the existence of life, and can then develop a scientifically empirical test, so as to prove when said consciousness occurs, and no babies are killed, beforehand.

But you can't go on forever with something like this - so we'd need to put a hard cap on the time that scientists would have to apply and interpret these test results, and prove what consciousness it had, at any given point throughout the pregancy / serving as a parasitic host - say, no more than 10 months, absolute tip-top maximum.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

You know, that's an interesting answer but it kind of takes us to right where we started.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

The ability to be and having been conscious. No, I am not advocating that human beings cease to exist when they sleep.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

I see no comparison. Are we in danger of wiping out humans?

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't think you'll like how this turns out. Because we already know.