Anybody attend...

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by MaconVol, Dec 22, 2011.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Give all your worldly possessions to the poor and follow him... to a six figure salary at the megachurch! Ballin'

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm sure they spend quite a bit on the indoor firework show they have every 4th of July

3. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Wow! Thats terrible. I live in a 3 BR,1bath,kitchen, den (former carport), My church wanted me to take $400 a month and I said no. They give me $200 a month which I give back. I wear jeans almost every Sunday. I can't stand "dress codes" because I don't think the majority of churches would let John the Baptist in the door today. I preach straight from the Bible and nothing else.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

You're bi-vocational?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  5. Oldvol75

Yes. Its rough sometimes especially if you have to go to a lot of hospital visits. But my church is good about that and the deacons do a real good job when I can't make it for some reason. It got a lot easier when I finally stopped coaching, when I retired from bama. Did coach my first year in GA, but that was just with JR. High. Didn't want to do HS anymore, even though they offered, too much film study and longer practices. But I must admit, JR high was fun because we didn't have those coaching meetings.

6. CardinalVol

Teach, coach and preach? Whew.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Idle hands aren't a problem

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Freakin' hell. Oldvol is making me feel like a lazy un-athletic heathen.

Oh, wait.

9. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we attend the same college? That being said, how did you make it through there as a Baptist? I grew up Baptist/Methodist and still wonder how I made it out alive. And with that being said, our views are almost identical. Instead of having me lean toward the C of C churches, Milligan pushed me away from denominations as a whole. I've been to all kinds of churches and I've even attended mega, non-denominational, multi-cultural churches that produced some of the most moving sermons and services in general that I've ever been to. The whole denomination thing just baffles me. Live the Word and know what it takes to get to Heaven are all that really concern me.

10. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

You are correct. That place in my short time there burnt me out on organized religion.

11. Oldvol75

I look at it this way,first, I am a Christian by the Grace of God,and second, I am a Baptist by choice. You know, surround yourself with like minded believers.

12. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I get that completely and I guess we have the same thought there. I greatly prefer the style of a "hell, fire and brimstone" type Baptist sermon and I don't mind contemporary services, but when it comes to singing, I'd much rather sing traditional hymns, even if you rock them out a little. My issue, however, is I grow so tired of how the different denominations throw in all these traditions and and customs that seemingly come from nowhere when you look at the original services.

13. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I like the traditional hymns too. They sound beautiful if you ask me. I also like the "high church" formality you see with Methodists, Lutherans, Catholics and some old school Baptist churches. JMO, TIFWIW.

14. CardinalVol

I'm a huge fan of the old hymns, as the words, lines and verses are incredible, but I prefer modern arrangements of them.

Also prefer an expositional preaching/teaching style.

15. Oldvol75

I like the old hymns too. We have a great piano player at our church and she can flat out play that thing. I do preach in the expositional style, I had to look it up to be sure! LOL! But thats just the way I've always done it. One piece of scripture at a time. I've never done themes or covered one book in a series, just what the Lord lays on my heart to preach.

16. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

The bible says to make a joyful noise unto the lord (Psalms 98:4). I do not have a problem with any kind of Gospel music as long as the singer/singers are trying to honor and glorify God, and not bring themselves honor and glory. As far as myself, I too, enjoy the traditional gospel songs the most. I am a huge fan of the Southern Gospel group The "McKamey's."

17. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

I'm saved by grace and Baptist because Jesus and the apostles were, too.

18. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Amen.

OV bringin the thunder in denim.

19. CardinalVol

I see OV preachin' in overalls or Carhart for some reason. JMO, IMO, IMHO

Any time I see my pastor show up in a tie, I become concerned that something major is about to go down as I think he's one worn twice in his 3 years at the helm. Heck, if his shirt is tucked in I become concerned.

20. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Do you include the Book of Revelation in your sermons? I've found that some preachers choose not to cover this book for some reason which is a shame. It's my favorite book of the Bible.