Anyone Ever had a Mid-Life Crisis

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by lumberjack4, Feb 1, 2021.

1. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Getting a pilot license has always sounded intriguing. The flight hour rate is around here is pretty reasonable from what I've been told. Maybe something I should look into after COVID.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

No BS, I have a friend (who is an engineer) that was kind of in a rut 2 years ago or so. He was always interested in planes and piloting, but had not ever pursued it. With some encouragement, he joined a local club and started taking lessons. He is now licensed, working on a commercial license, and loves it.

You will look back at yourself at this time one day and think about how young you actually were. You can count on that. So long as you are moving down the trail of life, you were always younger yesterday than you thought and there is still time for who-knows-what. If you don't like your routine, change it. Don't do anything crazy, but there is a lot more to life than work. Work is often just a means to an end.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i took up golf

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Well said, IP.

What's the old saw? "Work to live, don't live to work."

IP likes this.
  5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I left my wife and kids, told them to never contact me again, went and found this hot little 20 year old, and bought a Corvette Stingray.

Life is great!

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Actually the truth is I've been struggling with this on and off for 5 or 6 years. I get it.

7. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

COVID definitely makes it tough to do random things at the moment. I was supposed to get my electrical license last summer, and now this summer isn't even looking good.

8. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Christian Perspective that I have heard recommended if anyone is so inclined.

9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I had an 81 vette, same body style, in 2005. Used to go out with the wife and felt bigtime when valet would park it out front in downtown nashville. Had a blast driving it. Also led to an unplanned 3rd child soon after as the vette did what the rumors say, and i ended up selling it a few months later because we needed a van. Toyota Siena time. Talk about a midlife crisis roller coaster.

10. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I'll leave it up, but after reading the reviews, it sounds like a miss. I posted because John Piper recommended it.

11. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

"Never let a chance to witness go to waste."

12. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I don' tknow if you are referring to the book or me. At any rate, that's not really my deal.

I do believe that there tends to be more purpose/drive/joy in people's lives that build on something that they believe will outlive themself. That has certainly been the case for me when I, for all intents and purposes, walked away from a Christian hope for about 5 years.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I may sell my company this year, if I do, I have no idea what I'll end up doing

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

The fundamental existential crisis of our inevitable mortality. But to tell you truth, I found myself more worried about death as a kid hearing about the after life all the time than I do now.

cpninja and gcbvol like this.
  15. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I went through a period where I was constantly ruminating on death, almost like a mini-depression. Age does change things. I don't really 'fear' death at all now.

16. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Sure. Country baptist theology (not sure if that was you but it was me), with it's focus on certain experiences and making sure you have them, is not great. In fact that's what drove me away -despite having some of the experiences. I've come back in reading Anglicans, and Lutherans, and Roman Catholics.

But to your point, IMO this is not necessarily a red pill/blue pill dichotomy. There are psychological perils whichever pill you take. I just still believe the farfetched resurrection claims.

17. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I've never feared death, just fear what I would miss if I were to die.

That said, when I'm "partaking" my mind will occasionally wander to the thought of just ceasing to exist after I die for a year, a hundred years, a thousand years, etc. and it trips me out a bit.

gcbvol likes this.
  18. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I play golf a couple times of year. Enjoy dicking around, but I'm terrible at it.

19. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

That just means you get your money's worth. More strokes. Experience more of the course, etc.

I want to take up flyfishing in the near future.

20. CitrusCo.Vol

CitrusCo.Vol Member

Do what I did. Move to Florida and fish everyday.

Volgrad98 likes this.