Artificial General Intelligence and the Future

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NorrisAlan, Jun 5, 2023.

1. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

True but they aren't prohibited from productizing things in addition to their mission. Guess the courts will decide if that is still being fulfilled or not.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, they may win the argument. I don't know. But this isn't as frivolous as it seems at first glance, there is an argument for a/an (former?) investor who feels like the goal posts moved.

3. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

All those folks who invested in Amazon when they were a bookstore may have cause for a class action. (just kidding). Goal post change.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Not unless Amazon declared they would only sell books in their founding documents, which was not the case. OpenAI wasn't just a start-up, it was and is a nonprofit.

5. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

As has been explained to me by a Microsoft employee is that OpenAI split into a non-profit group and a for-profit group. This is something that Musk would have been involved with. Microsoft invested in the for-profit group.

From a Google Search - OpenAI's structure is indeed complex: It is a nonprofit that owns a holding company that owns the majority of a for-profit company but controls that for-profit company through another limited liability company that the nonprofit also owns.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
    Poppa T likes this.
  6. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Wasn't he one of the original founders of OpenAI?

7. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Yeah but left in 2018.

8. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

He left citing a conflict of interest with his work at Tesla.

9. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Guess what that conflict was

10. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

IP likes this.
  11. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

IP likes this.
  12. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

That may be true. The "non-profit" was the selling point for "start-up" and POC that drove MS' subsequent investment (with strings).

It seems that Musk may have gotten out-manuevered by MS.

IP likes this.
  13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, you guys are reading the way I am. I think Musk has a case. Don't know if he will win.

14. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I think it might be a push. A "for profit" sub under a "not for profit" mother. It will be interesting.

If he "wins", I think the "not for profit" will be dissolved; MS gets ownership of the "for profit" piece and most of the brains/workers go to MS. Basically the cost/damages awarded of lawsuit is their purchase price of OpenAI.

Musk is using OpenAI (not for profit) as part of his development arm that he can turn into for profit product. MS dumping billions trumped Musk's millions.

15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

He kind of did. He wanted an arm that was for profit and it wasn't done so he felt if he was building a for profit AI system for Tesla it would not be a good idea for him to be apart of the company. There would be talk that he was taking ideas from the non profit and implementing it into his company. Which is what he kind of wanted to do, hence him being in favor of having a for profit arm of the company.

16. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

My guess is it will get settled out of court and he will get some tech to help his business.

17. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

This is a good point.

He gets some free development from the "for profit" side; that doesn't competitively impact MS model; and allows him to maintain his "for the good of humanity" facade.

zehr27 likes this.
  18. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

CNN — OpenAI fired back at Elon Musk, who sued the ChatGPT company last week for chasing profit and diverging from its original, nonprofit mission. Tuesday night, OpenAI published several of Musk’s emails from the early days of the company that appear to show Musk acknowledging OpenAI needed to make a ton of money to fund the incredible computing resources needed to power its AI ambitions.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/06/tech/openai-elon-musk-emails/index.html

IP likes this.
  19. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

It would appear that Musk is not as smart as he thinks he is.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

What a pos.