As To The Rampant Rumors Regarding Robert Hubbs...

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Jul 20, 2012.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Why would anyone believe he would make an announcement while Coach K is out of the country? This isn't Josh Selby and Bruce Pearl. It's a classy kid and the most respected coach in the sport. He might commit to UT. He **** sure won't do it without telling K in a first class manner.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Don't kill the buzz of the recruitards. They'd rather not be distracted by viewing the names and stars on their monitors as people.

3. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Galilee is the only person I believe on VQ on he says its a go.

4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I don't know what the kid's doing, but isn't it simply a matter of making a phone call to Coach K as it is, whether he's in Durham or London? Selby was actually committed to UT and then backed out when Pearl was in Israel, whereas Hubbs is an uncommitted recruit. I'm sure that K hasn't stopped contacting him while he's coaching the national team and don't think it would be poor form for Hubbs to commit whenever it is he feels like it.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Hat is just saying the guy isn't going to do something under the cloak of darkness. Whether that means he waits to officially commit or calls Coach K from over the Atlantic, the point is still valid.

6. hatvol96

It would be incredibly poor form to drop the coach of the US Men's National Team while he's out of the country on that assignment. Doing it to some scumbag off on some sort of idiotic vision quest is one thing. Doing it to K is an entirely different matter. It's why I would be stunned to see anyone on Duke's, or for that matter Syracuse's, list choose anyone other than those schools publicly until three weeks from now.

7. Unimane

Like I said, I haven't the faintest idea what's going on with the kid, but I just wonder if he's given K the heads up beforehand or stated a timeline, something. I would agree that, if it's the middle of his recruitment and he's just decided to end it, then it would be bad form. It's still a different deal than Selby, who was actually committed.

8. hatvol96

I'll grant that there's a difference. That's why Selby paid a price. I know for a certainty two NBA teams passed on him in the draft because they felt that, along with other incidents, showed he was a shady kid.

9. Unimane

True. Also, he and Xavier Henry were two of the least impressive one and done types I've seen in recent college basketball.

10. hatvol96

Kansas wasn't heartbroken when either left. I'll leave it at that.

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

If it involves Memphis athletics and he says it, take it as gospel. Great guy and very well connected there.

12. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Is there a chance he made his decision and although he didn't actually commit, it could have leaked out? Maybe he told Cuonzo or someone close to him he wants to come to Tennessee and maybe it leaked out somehow?

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Possible, and probably probable if indeed he has made his decision.

I assume he's in Atlanta this weekend?

14. hatvol96

Certainly possible. I think, out of respect, Cuonzo would tell him to wait til K was back stateside to go public. Here's what a guy who recruits at the highest levels of college basketball once told me. "The first thing I ask a kid when he tells me he is going to commit is whether he has told the other coaches who were recruiting them. I've never had a moment of trouble out of a kid who informed them first."

15. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Not many kids who "get" this, later "lose" it.

16. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Underrated alliteration in this thread title.

17. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Having had some dealings with the guy that runs/coaches M33M, I would fully expect that he would make sure Hubbs or any of his players to handle their recruitment in this manner. They have had and should have kids that will continue to be recruited at that level, so I see them not wanting to chance any bridges being severed because a kid could not wait 3 weeks at this time of year.

18. hatvol96

M33M is as classy as AAU/summer programs get.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Still nothing concrete. Looks like Hat was on the money again.

20. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

Absolutely agree